Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nimbus Fish Hatchery??? Spawning?

Default Nimbus Fish Hatchery??? Spawning?

Hi.

I ran by the Nimbus hatchery today to see if the Salmon had really reached there yet.

Not many Salmon, but the weirs were in and the ladder is shut down.

I saw a note abut the ladders being turned off until March 2015.

What decisions have been made public about spawning Salmon and Steelhead this year?

Have the Powers That Be made the decision to not spawn because of lack of water this year? It figures that the state that could sell enough of Nor Cal water to turn this into a desert would, of course, use this as political leverage with the environmentalists to get more money out of our pockets and into the money machine.

I probably missed something, but I'd like to find out.

Thanks,

Grant Fraser

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.

I don't know if the ladder is open this early. But if they do no open it man this will be interesting to see.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Quote Originally Posted by steel2theReel View Post
    I saw a note abut the ladders being turned off until March 2015.
    I hope that is a typo, misprint, or something similar!

They produce 13 million chinook smolts there; it's a huge hatchery for salmon production in California along with the Feather river hatchery and Coleman on the Sac.

The plight of the hatchery and returning salmon and steelhead will be determined by mother nature.

This summer, the entire hatchery (including Nimbus and American River Hatcheries) were completely emptied. That included salmon and steelhead smolts, as well as catchable rainbows and brooding stock.

Normally, steelhead smolts raised at Nimbus... are released as yearlings in February, at Howe Ave, the following year.

This year, they were released as fry, because the water was too warm to continue raising them in the races at the hatchery.

Because Folsom Lake is extremely low (as are ALL California reservoirs) the water leaving the spillway is much warmer than usual and since that same water is the water used to sustain hatchery resident fish stocks, it was deemed that the water would be too warm and the oxygen content insufficient thus ALL FISH were released from ALL races (holding pens) in to either the American River or various urban, mountain lakes/reservoirs.

Normally, since Lake Folsom is a bottom-draw reservoir, the water discharged from it in to the river is cold enough for the fish as it is sucked out of the deeper, cooler water column.

Unfortunately, Folsom is at a mere 36% of its roughly one million acre-feet capacity and as such... what little volume of water is being released, is running 3-6 degrees higher than its normal temperature for this time of year.

Uncertain if we will get a wet fall/winter or continue to remain in this now 3.5 year drought... biologists are not counting on spawning/raising salmon and steelhead stocks for 2014-2015.

That is at least my understanding.

Typically, the ladder would not be operative for the uptake of spawing salmon until late October/November anyway so it is way too early to tell.

I imagine if we have a really wet fall and both ambient and water temperatures drop significantly in the next few weeks, then BOR and CDFW will attempt to spawn chinook salmon this fall.

If we remain in a drought, I would not be surprised to see the ladder remain dry and a river closure be placed in effect by CDFW as it was this winter past.

Dance for Rain~
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 09-23-2014 at 11:34 PM.

Lower American River salmon run is later than the Sacramento or Feather Rivers.

They should be spawning in November.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Good info, STEELIES/26c3, thanks for that (I guess!).

Best,

Default Addendum

Thanks.

To clarify, the sign posted in front of the parking lot said that the ladders would be dry from Jun 2014 to March 2015.

So this seems to support your previous statement, 26c3.

Regards,

Grant

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.

Default Responsibility and Ownership

Yah I kinda thought that but I guess I was reserving some optimism~;(

Still, if we get early and consistent rain, coupled with increased inundation of spawning gravel restoration areas... it is plausible/possible that our natural-spawn, Chinook stocks will at least SOME-what offset the lack of mitigate salmon the hatchery would have produced for the year 2014/15.

My concern is that BOR sees this as an opportunity (in conjunction with CDFW) to suggest that the American River hatcheries are no longer necessary.

I say this because the carrrying capacity and hence steelhead and salmon stocks the American River can NATURALLY sustain (even with the spawning restoration areas) is simply not enough and too, little too late.

If there was the possibility of the American River becoming a naturally-sustained population of 'wild' or 'native' fish without the hatchery, I would be all for it. However, that possibility disappeared with the creation of the dams in 1959 and continues to further disappear with the increased pressure by agribusiness and politicians to sell OUR water by the cubic foot per second to municipalities and worse yet... to water brokers like Stewart Resnick~

Insert quote by Chief Seattle regarding 'ownership of the earth ( :~><)))><~: )
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 09-25-2014 at 10:53 PM.

If they do not plan to use the ladders until 3015 why would they place the weir in this year?
    Especially with all of that new "spawning" bed area they constructed above!

That doesn't make any sense at all.

Question Above Hazel Ave....

"....3015...." Typo??? Maybe DFW doesn't intend to use the spawning gravels above Hazel Avenue this year or any drought year....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown