Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Launching on the Lower Yuba

Default Launching on the Lower Yuba

Hey all,
    Hoping I can get some info on the Lower Yuba. I recently got a drift boat and have want to float from the Hwy 20 Bridge down to Sycamore.

My question is regarding the launch under the bridge. I am launching the boat with a '14 Subaru Outback; it is 4WD. Will this get the job done as far as clearance? Are there other issues with launching there?

Also, has anyone used a shuttle? I've heard that Sycamore offers a service.

Thanks in Advance.

Steven C

I would NOT take a subaru outback down to the launch that we all use...It doesn't have the clearance needed. A sport utility vehicle or truck is mandatory in my opinion. Some may think different or have tried it in a subaru but I wouldn't.

Best shuttle guy is Chris who lives right by the bridge. 530-639-2521

Quote Originally Posted by Hogan Brown View Post
    I would NOT take a subaru outback down to the launch that we all use...It doesn't have the clearance needed. A sport utility vehicle or truck is mandatory in my opinion. Some may think different or have tried it in a subaru but I wouldn't.

Best shuttle guy is Chris who lives right by the bridge. 530-639-2521
    I agree. I tried it in my Honda CRV - very scary. I always use my truck for now on!!!
    Lance Gray
    Fly Guide
    530-517-2204
    http://www.lancegrayandcompany.com

Thanks for the info and feedback.. I was looking at the clearance on the Outback and it is only 8.7 inches. I guess it is more of a "crossover SUV" than a standard SUV.

The last thing I want to do is get stuck under there.

Is it possible to drag the boat down to the water?
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Seems like it could be an option. I know 2 people could drag the boat, and I'm not terribly worried about the bottom of it since it all ready has plenty of wear.

Anyone ever else ever done this?

Seems like quite the distance to drag the boat from where you could park to where the water is. Anyone know if you drive further down the trail if there is an easier turn down to the launch area? I know the first two turn offs on the dirt road have some crazy deep rutts, but maybe if you go much further down you could find a spot to get down there in the Subaru.

Yeah man, there is a nice place to drop in a boat or raft about 1/4 mile downstream on the same side(south) the drive to it is usually fine, unless some codknokkers with big 4x4's have torn up the road.....(should be fine and you can always get out and walk to scope out the depth of ruts in front of you....)It is just a 25' drop in for the boat...Call me for more info .if needed. My name is Chris and I do the Yuba shuttles @530-639-2521 Thanx.---....main thing about travellin' off road is ALWAYS know that you can turn around or back up before you commit to questionable terrain!

Oh, i can show you the two spots that i am thinking of,if you need a shuttle....-C-

Chris-
    Sounds like good advice and info. I'll be on the river soon and probably be giving you a call for shuttle service and launch info.

Thanks!

Steven C