Thread: Gold Lake/Lakes Basin info?

Default Gold Lake/Lakes Basin info?

Hey guys. I'll be staying at Gold Lake next week. I've never fished in the Lakes Basin before. I'm not bringing a boat or tube, wonder what is my best bet fishing from the bank. There are a lot of lakes up there and I don't know where to start. I'm limited to moderate hikes these days. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Dave
    You Enjoy Myself

There is some shore access at Gold Lake but expect wind in the afternoons. The Long Lake trail is moderate and there is plenty of shore access. Upper Sardine is a nice moderate hike with the best views in the area. For small stream action check out the Graeagle Cr trail. Lots to explore and see in the lakes basin. Enjoy!
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"

Thanks, Jay. I appreciate the tips.

Dave
    You Enjoy Myself

Dave… A super-beautiful drive-to lake is Lower Sardine Lake. Then you can do a 1/2 hike to Upper Sardine. You might be able to get some left over 2 lbers. from earlier this summer.

OK, I'll check it out. Now I'm about to hit the road -- will report back here next week.

Dave
    You Enjoy Myself

I almost forgot to report on my trip.

As it turned out, I didn't spend much time fishing in the Lakes Basin. I fished at Long Lake from 7:30 to 10:00 one morning. Lots of midges flying around, but no takes on the bobber/pupa combo. Finally caught one 14" rainbow on a gold beadhead tan UV mini bugger.
    I also fished about an hour one day at Upper Sardine Lake. It was mid-day when I went up there (mainly for the scenery) and I didn't see any fish, which didn't surprise me.

I spent most of my time fishing the NF Yuba below Sierra City. As expected there was lots of action with all rainbows between 6-10". I've only fished that river a couple of times and I still have a lot of it to explore. Nice place for sure. Cheeseburgers and fries at Bassets!
    You Enjoy Myself