Thread: South Fork Snake

Default South Fork Snake

Well I just got back from a week floating the SF Snake River in Idaho. This was year 6 for me. We had one 3 year veteran and two first timers. What a fantastic bunch of friends ! You know you have the right group when you spend 7 days within arms reach of each other 24/7 and you can't wait for the next time you get to fish with each other.

I could sum up the whole trip in 4 words- Worst weather, Best fishing. We did 3 trips through "The Canyon" each trip including an overnight in the canyon. We camped in the worst storms I have ever been in. Rain, lightning, thunder, hail and wind became the norm. We had nice weather the first day and the last day everything in-between was rough. Funny story I think it was day 5 the day started with pouring rain. Were about a mile into our float when 3 of us were so tired of dealing with the rain we started talking about options to get off the river. After a short snivel session bugs started flying and fish started eating and it went like that all day! By far the best day I have ever had on the Snake!!!!

Here are some details for guys who might be headed there soon. On sunny days (not many of those) we fished mainly Hoppers on the bank. Purple Chubby's worked in the am and Chernobyls with red belly worked well in the pm. On all those cloudy/rainy days we mainly fished riffles. Started off with small BWO then went to combination of larger grey Mayflies (I'm not sure what they were) then PMD's sometimes there were caddis in the evening.

For you guys thinking you might want to do a trip like this here is the breakdown:

1- Truck
    2- Boats
    3- Shuttles
    4- Good Friends
    5- Nights in Hotel
    6- Days of Fishing

$320/person

GO DO IT !!!!!

Here are some pics from the trip, enjoy.

The Crew

DJ with one of many nice browns

Barry with a nice one

Yours truly with a Brownie

Nick with an evening fish

Oh SH%T that looks bad !!!!!

End of the day

Fish on in the riffles

Aahh break time

Looks like a good trip, this year I spent a week in MT on the Yellowstone, the plan is to fish the Snake next summer! I had a 6 pack of Snake River brewing co's "Pako's IPA", holy wow they know their IPA's. Just hope I can find some around here

That's wonderful.....thanks for sharing.

I wish everyone could take a nice trip like that......just once.

We have a lot of customers who go on an annual trip to Montana, Idaho or Colorado every summer.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

This is the biggest hail storm I've ever been in. Just above the Spring Creek bridge. This storm came racing down river and swallowed us up. Just under golf ball sized. This was late June/early July. We took cover under some trees, others weren't as fortunate.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010031.jpg 
Views:	240 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	9617
    Get to whats reel

Heading there next week for the first time. CANT WAIT!

Purple Chubby against the bank first thing in the morning. Have fun!!!

Chris

SWEET! Way to go
    "...and on the eighth day God created Police Officers so Firemen would have heroes..."

Idaho's Full! Montana is way better.