Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Short Notice

I've used slalom racing shin pads numerous times when fishing the pitt, thats the hardest wading anywhere, but can be very rewarding

Quote Originally Posted by ICE View Post
    PG & E opened a beautiful camp right on the rivers edge on the top of Pit 4 I squatted there on my last night with one other camper. No water service other than the river but new pit toilets, picnic tables & fire rings. I tried to attach a great map PG & E is supplying with their drive by fish survey teams (best most comprehensive map Ive been able to locate) but the scanned copy was to big. If any one wants a copy send me a message and I will e-mail it to them.

J. Ice

Carpe Piscis!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ><((((º>
    ><((((º> ><((((º>

Man you guys weren't kidding, this place is pretty demanding of you! I did land some decent size fish, lost the big one almost instantly due to fast water, and missed several small ones. That was one thing I found myself doing more than anything, figuring out where to stand to get the best drift while also trying to see what's going to happen when I hook one. I did manage to stay dry all day, which was amazing considering the amount of rock skiiing I was doing. Super fun place, didn't see another person all day.

Quote Originally Posted by kylgrn View Post
    Man you guys weren't kidding, this place is pretty demanding of you! I did land some decent size fish, lost the big one almost instantly due to fast water, and missed several small ones. That was one thing I found myself doing more than anything, figuring out where to stand to get the best drift while also trying to see what's going to happen when I hook one. I did manage to stay dry all day, which was amazing considering the amount of rock skiiing I was doing. Super fun place, didn't see another person all day.
    Ya, with the new flows once a fish gets downstream of you, it's hard to turn 'em. Gotta stick it to them fast
    or it's "sayonara".

Stayed dry all day?....clap clap...that's an accomplishment on the Pit. I've had plenty of dunkings on the Pit.
    I don't mind in summer, but sucks during colder weather.

Shin guards are a necessity. I've whacked mine against rocks too many times there.

EO

Well in all honesty I forgot my extra clothes at my in-laws on the way to the river, so I opted to wear my waders instead of wet my only shorts and have to drive home with them. As I was wading that beast I kept thinking how you would almost HAVE to use shin guards, you could get really bloody from those rocks. It wasn't so much that the wading was really difficult or that the rocks were slipperier than other places, it's just the fact that there's so much holding water that you find yourself tromping all around the place to get to them! I caught most fish on a golden stonefly with red copper johns, the CJ was the ticket to sticking the larger ones. Trying to nymph with those big islands of foliage in front of you is also challenging...