Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kind of Fishing Related - RVs

Default Kind of Fishing Related - RVs

I have been thinking about selling my Jumping Jack Tent trailer and upgrading to a self contained travel trailer. The only problem is I don't know the first thing about travel trailers so I thought I would ask on here. What is a good brand? Is there anything I should be cautious about? I am so green I am not even sure of what questions to ask. So I guess those of you that have bought travel trailer to use on fishing trips, what would you do different? Thank you

I see quite a few friends buying these new light weight hard side travel trailers.

Most seem to be around 18 to 21 feet long.

Dan Blanton has a big 28 foot travel trailer he uses at the Delta but he just bought a smaller light weight 17' one for going off on fishing trips.

http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch201405.php

My friend John Hogg just bought a new 19 foot Fun Finder light weight travel trailer too.

https://rockymountainrv.com/rv/f-189...-cruiser-2014/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I see quite a few friends buying these new light weight hard side travel trailers.

Most seem to be around 18 to 21 feet long.

Dan Blanton has a big 28 foot travel trailer he uses at the Delta but he just bought a smaller light weight 17' one for going off on fishing trips.

http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch201405.php

My friend John Hogg just bought a new 19 foot Fun Finder light weight travel trailer too.

https://rockymountainrv.com/rv/f-189...-cruiser-2014/

Hey Bill, Cindy and I have made two trips since purchasing our 17-foot White Water Classic, the latest to Lake Almanor, staying at the Northshore Camp grounds. So far we love the trailer. It's fully loaded and everything is working brilliantly. When towing, I hardly know the trailer is behind the Tahoe. Here's a link to a report on the Almanor trip. http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchiv...arch201407.php

I've been eyeing one of these guys http://www.forestriverinc.com/TravelTrailers/rpod/

Quote Originally Posted by NCL View Post
    I have been thinking about selling my Jumping Jack Tent trailer and upgrading to a self contained travel trailer. The only problem is I don't know the first thing about travel trailers so I thought I would ask on here. What is a good brand? Is there anything I should be cautious about? I am so green I am not even sure of what questions to ask. So I guess those of you that have bought travel trailer to use on fishing trips, what would you do different? Thank you
    NCL,

Please feel free to e-mail me at danblanton@danblanton.com if you wish more information on the trailer my wife and I recently purchased. It is really laid out nice and is of the highest quality. See my post below under Bill's post. Layout and floor plan is very important with a small trailer and the 173 White Water is laid out as good as it gets.

Good luck,

Dan

Dan,

Thank you. That is a nice looking trailer. Could you explain why the floor plan is important?

Kylgrn

That R-Pod looks like a nice deal.

I need to do more research. I am thinking as has been mentioned that something in the 17 to 18 foot range would be perfect. I am just looking for something that I can stay in for a few days and have a little security.

We're also looking for another trailer.
    Preferably a lightweight with slide-out and a bed that allows easy access so one person doesn't have to climb over the other one to get out of bed!

Most of these smaller ~16' - 20' light weight travel trailers are designed to be towed with a V6 powered vehicle like a mid-size SUV.

For somewhere around $20,000 new these trailers are very practical for most of us.

There are dozen of makers of these now so I would try to go to a major RV show so you could see lots of them.

I think the floor plan is extremely important but the new comer won't see the subtle differences right away.

Having a slide out is a big deal too.........

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC033810001.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	9523Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC034140001.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	9524I did not know if you needed a trailer for "family" fishing trips, but if its just you and the wife a pop-up truck camper is very versatile. My camper with a lower profile allows me to go to places that conventional truck campers and trailer will never see and it allows me to camp in more peaceful area's. I can also tow my boat or my trailer with a pram and additional camping gear in the back. Fully self-contained w/ solar to charge the batterys make it a great versatile rig. It also has north/south sleeping so you don't have to crawl over your spouse. That being said, you still have to "climb" down from the bed if nature calls in the night. Even though I can cram 2 adults and 3 or 4 kids in it, that would be to much. Perfect for 1 or 2. Just an option. Many people have liked my rig when I fish and ask about it, so I'm just throwing out an option that it great for 1 or 2 people who may still want to tow a boat to the lake. Takes about 1-2 minuets to put it up or take it down. My next one will not have a indoor shower which makes the length shorter and allow me to go with a shortbed truck making the rig even smaller and more manuverable in tight off-road places.
    Last edited by Rockman; 08-11-2014 at 08:53 AM.

I've had a couple of fishing friends who have had Casita's and loved them. Used ones hard to find and sell quickly.

casitatraveltrailers.com

Betty