567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

my favorite thing to fish with!!! Silver Creek is my choice as it is closer than the Missouri but this is a fun but at time frustrating event to target!!!

Back in the 1970s, my fishing partner, Mel Jeffs and I were exposed to fly fishing with spinner patterns by the late Bob Quigley. One June on the Fall River just upstream from Rick's Lodge (now the Spinner Fall Lodge) we really connected 'down streaming' with small spinners on top. This usually happens in the morning where the entire river comes alive with a giant spinner fall of small size 16 may flies.

I don't think many fly fishers get to fish that way because the spinners are hard to see on the water. Plus many are fishing under water now too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AMgmZSOnyY

Rick Jorgensen and Don Rotsma are very sophisticated fly fishers are I was able to go on one of their annual trips to Idaho/Montana. I was exposed to lots of good techniques fishing with these guys as well.

I am always promoting fly casting and fishing on the surface because everyone else seems to promoting indicator nymphing. I am just trying to keep classic fly fishing methods alive.

I think this film helps to show people there is other ways to fly fish besides nymphing. You need to go to different places at different times of the year where they have big hatches.

My fiend David Armocido moved from Colusa, CA to Missoula, MT where he can dry fly fish almost year round.

Terry Thomas and his band of commando fly fishers have had their travel trailer in an RV park near Burney, CA for over 20 years. These guy really know how to fly fish for trout on the Fall River. The fish Fall River mostly from anchored boats with a combination of dry fly, swinging emergers, and fishing leeches on full sinking lines.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill...You are a wealth of knowledge...I always enjoy your posts....Thanks Frank

All it takes is one good fish on a dry fly to turn any nymph pro off course! There really is nothing like stalking a rising trout, throwing your entire fly box at him before he finally takes the fly you caught the small 8 inch trout on earlier that morning but switched because you had no action since then.

I had the opportunity to fish the Missouri out of Craig a couple of weeks ago. That video is spot on! So many tricos on the water it was amazing that any fish would take a fly. Stopped into Headhunters Fly Shop. Great folks with knowledge and a free map

Interestingly, all of the guides were rigged up for nymphing!

Caught more than my fair share of fish even with a low conversion rate (1 out of ever 4ish), but that's the way it goes with long casts, long drifts and small flies.

It's a pretty easy flight to Helena and less than an hour drive from the airport to Craig.