Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spots For Camping/Fishing Nor Cal August?!

Question Spots For Camping/Fishing Nor Cal August?!

Hey Guys,
    Looking for your advice. I just moved to Sacramento CA this year and am planning on going on a 4 day camping/flyfishing trip starting on the 14th of August. I am brand new to north cal. I have been doing alot of research on the best flyfishing spots around northern california and could use some advice for where I should go during this time of year for some good trout on the fly & some good campsites that are on the water.

Do you guys have any recommedations for a place i can camp & get some good fishing in during this time? I have been reading that the Little Trukee & Trukee arent fishing well, last report on the mclaud said it was blown out green but Im not sure the date/time on that report, and I was researching some areas around shasta but there are so many places and i dont know where to start. I was looking at the carson, trukee, american river, the pit (shasta area I think?), mcloud yuba area river, etc.

I dont have a boat and will be wade fishing. I dont mind going up really high in the mountains if the fishing is good.

Would love some advice, preferrably with some good camping somewhere near the fishing spot. I dont mind a good challenging hike ether.

Thanks!

Given the current fire conditions in the north and the flooding in the south coupled with your limited knowledge of the area I would think that Lewiston Reservoir (Part of the Trinity river) would be a good bet. Plenty of campgrounds, You can rent a boat at the marina for 75 for a half day or a canoe / Kayak for 24 for half day. Motor or row up to the dam and drift back to the marina. there is also normally some topwater action in front of the marina at dusk. If renting a boat is not your thing then below Lewiston on the Trinity from the old bridge down are wadeable in sections or hire a guide as some in that area are amazing. I have not been up there this August but the reports seem pretty good.

The other alternative is either upper sac from Dunsmuir up or hire a guide to drift the lower sac. or maybe both?

C Corrin -

If you are new to the area a Nor Cal trout tour of the Lassen-Shasta area would be a good way to go. It is a beautiful area with many spring fed streams and generally not as crowed as the Sierras. Camp along the way and fish four or five different spots. Start at Manzanita, go to Hat Creek, Burney Creek, the Pit, McCloud and the Upper Sac. Cover some ground and check things out but be on good water in the evening. There are plenty of free and non-free places to camp along the way. Stop at the fly shop in Redding on the way up and get the report and some flies that work but don't spend too much money. A float tube would put you on a few more spots but there is plenty of wading water. If you want to hike and can do some mileage or have a bike go to Squaw Valley Creek but stay out of the poison oak and don't step on any rattlesnakes. If you want to splurge go over to Fall River and hook up with one of the guides that work for Confluence Outfitters. There are typically three of them there in the summer and should be able to get you a spot if you are a little flexible on days. Good luck and post a report.

I would either go to a high elevation (6,000-10,000') trout area or over to the Pacific coast.

You might find some Half-pounder Steelhead at the lower part of the Klamath River or at the lower part of the Rogue River.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I agree with Bill.......go to a higher elevation for trout. There are numerous drive to camp grounds in the Sierra above 6000 feet. You might want to check out the June Lake / Mammoth area as well. The problem with lower elevation areas are warm water as a result of the drought (please do not fish for trout in areas where water temps exceed 70 degrees during the day) and the dog days of summer. The dog day effect and warmer water temps do not factor into the equation at higher elevations.

Good Luck

Not a good choice to go to the Intermountain Area at this time. There are three major fires going on with Hwy 89 closed at Clark Creek Rd ( the road heading down to Pit 3). The Fireside Cafe has burned down in Hat Creek. Posted a few shots on Craig's post. Probably should have started a new thread. Here's how close the Eiler fire is to Burney. Johnson Park and Cassel are on mandatory evacuation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	9470  

You may want to try the Gold Lakes area. High enough that the temps aren't (hopefully) a factor. As Bill pointed out, you'll want to go waaaay up.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Sounds like going up high is going to be my best bet. Thanks guys! Any recommended campgrounds up there? The gold lakes area looks interesting and im coming up from sacramento.

Checking out the map, looks like theres a few campground around there. Upper jamison & Ross campgrounds (Couldent find much info) and theres a campground right near the lakes. Lakes Basin Campground. Anybody been to any of those? Seems like a cool opporunity for exploring.

Do most all of the streams up in that area holding fish this time of year?
    Last edited by ccorrin; 08-05-2014 at 12:41 PM.

cc,
    Don't give up on the coast. Cooler temps and a chance for some good fishing. Sinktip line and a few saltwater
    clousers. Walk the beaches and study the water. Look for seams - shallow to deep, holes, rips, troughs, etc.
    Good luck wherever you go.
    Best,
    Larry S

Quote Originally Posted by ccorrin View Post
    Sounds like going up high is going to be my best bet. Thanks guys! Any recommended campgrounds up there? The gold lakes area looks interesting and im coming up from sacramento.

Checking out the map, looks like theres a few campground around there. Upper jamison & Ross campgrounds (Couldent find much info) and theres a campground right near the lakes. Lakes Basin Campground. Anybody been to any of those? Seems like a cool opporunity for exploring.

Do most all of the streams up in that area holding fish this time of year?
    The small streams in the Lakes Basin hold small fish. Please carry and use a thermometer and stop fishing if temps reach 70 degrees. The hike in lakes available from the Lakes Basin CG are all worth fishing. Hike into Lower Salmon lake or Wades Lake for some of the better fishing in the area. The North Yuba is a short drive away and hold lots of small wild rainbows! Lots and lots of water to explore here.

Jay
    [url]www.northernsierraflyfishing.blogspot.com[/url]
    [url]www.jayclarkflyfishing.com[/url]
    Jay Clark Fly Fishing
    530 414 1655

"Offering guided fly fishing trips for trout in the Northern Sierra and beyond"