Thread: Truckee Info & Voluntary Hoot Owl Closure

Default Truckee Info & Voluntary Hoot Owl Closure

Great idea during a stressful period for our fish.

Treat them nice and you may catch them twice.

http://vimeo.com/101768649

Tight lines

Dick White
    Tahoma CA

Just about to post the same thing. I highly support this effort. When I was younger I had to learn the hard way when I caught a nice rainbow in warm water conditions and could not revive her, it was a horrible experience. Please volunteer to not fish the Truckee from Noon to midnight,

Thanks

I love the idea, I'm on board. I would suggest that the EF of the Carson and both the WF and EF of the Walker be added to this voluntary closure. The low flows and warm temps affect these streams as well. Short term pain, long term gain.

Cheers!

--F.G. Dave
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

It should definitely apply to any river when the water temps go up.

Dick White
    Tahoma CA

Couple of questions. 1. The video is about the Truckee in Nevada where the temps can be 20 degrees hotter. Is the water below 70 degrees in the canyon past noon? 2. The video participants say upper 60's is the max., so should you stop fishing when the water reaches 70 degrees regardless of the time of day or area that you are fishing?

Cyama,
    Thanks for the questions.
    As we said in the video, it is about the entire watershed from Lake Tahoe to Pyramid Lake not just Nevada. The Hoot Owl request is voluntary, there are no regulations that prohibit angling throughout the day. Regardless of what section an angler fishes when the water temperature reaches the high 60's it can cause significant stress on the animal. We advise anglers to carry and use a thermometer. It is up to the discretion of the angler whether to fish or not. Just use common sense.
    Doug O.
    Last edited by Doug O; 07-30-2014 at 09:37 PM.

I fished the river last weekend, I was pleased to see most people packing up before 11AM.

With the recent flow changes as of yesterday I would say to avoid the Truckee all together now. Wait til late fall or winter ...or hekk maybe even spring. The east and west fork of the carson rivers should be avoided as well. Also the east and west walker should also see these river closures. Its been a rough year for water. Even harder on the fish. Lets not make it even worse for them by stickin em.

Like others have said....great time to explore those deep cool mountain lakes.

Fished the lower Yuba this afternoon, no lack of water in that river!