Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “…Sign, sign, everywhere a sign…” (A Fish Report…with pics)

Default “…Sign, sign, everywhere a sign…” (A Fish Report…with pics)

I would wager that many of you have heard the early 1970’s song “Signs” by Five Man Electrical Band, a song which was later covered by Tesla, amongst others, which is what the title of this post is alluding to. Anyhow… I just got back from a two-week fly fishing trip to Idaho and Montana and after looking at some of my photos, it seemed like a unifying theme, albeit, I wasn’t thinking about this when I was taking the pictures to begin with. Odd how these things happen sometimes, eh?

I went to some of my favorite spots; such as Rock Creek, the Selway, the East Fork of the Bitterroot, Silver Creek, et. al., as well as some new places; like the West Fork of the Bitterroot and a few other small streams that will remain un-named here. Most worked out quite well, solid hatches, rising fish, plenty of catching and what you would expect of the waters in Idaho and Montana in a typical July. The only stream that just wasn’t ready was the West Fork. Great looking water, but it was a bit off color and the water was still really cold. Too bad, but I’ll have to try it again in the future. (i.e. an excuse to go back!)

Why do so many anglers go to these two Rocky Mountain States? Here’s one reason:

…and here’s another:

…and perhaps a combo of the two previous:

I guess this sign could be posted in many places all around Idaho and Montana:

Sometimes the signs warn you about what you mind find:

…and sometimes the sign is accurate!

Of course, a fishing trip is not just about the fish, it’s also about your surroundings, the sights, the sounds, the smells, etc., the people, and the local flora and fauna

Here’s some of the flora:

…and here’s some of the fauna:

and of course, there might be a sign warning you to look out for other fauna as well:

…and yes, yet again, sometimes its accurate!

These are only a few of the females in the harem. The one large male, with a huge rack of horns, was a bit camera shy.

These last two pics don’t have a sign associated with them, but perhaps an alert or some kind of warning about being a dumb @$$ is in order. On my way home, as I was passing through Twin Falls, ID, I stopped by the Perrine Bridge, to recollect the time I did a bungee jump off of it, back when I was younger (and more of a dumb@$$ myself!)

Well, today, it was the BASE jumpers turn. I took a picture of the first two to jump (the guy with the red parachute was in a wheelchair!)

and then right after these two, a guy jumped and his chute just BARELY opened, and while most of the other jumpers drifted successfully to the landing zone, the second guy more or less plunged right into the brush right at the base of the bridge, 486 feet straight down! His chute opened just enough for him to walk away, albeit kind of slowly. The other spectators and I were glad he was able to walk away, but damn, that was CLOSE! Quite a buzz-kill. Personally knowing some people that do this kind of thing, I don’t think any kind of warning (or a sign) would deter these folks even one little bit. I think I’ll stick to sticking trout and leave the really dangerous stuff to the younger crowd, thank you.

I could go into more details and specifics about other places I went and fish caught, but I think you get the general idea. Good times, good fishing and yes, I want to go back already!

Cheers!
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-21-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Sweet and awesome !!!

D.~

Looks like a great trip, Dave, thanks for sharing the pictures.

Great report Dave...as always....That cutthroat sure is pretty.

Did you bring a full arsenal of equipment I would assume?

EO

I would sooooo steal the "at play" sign................
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by EO View Post
    Did you bring a full arsenal of equipment I would assume?
    Arsenal? Like open carry? Or a full arsenal of rods and flies? Dunno...

Quote Originally Posted by FlyGuy (Dave) View Post

Arsenal? Like open carry? Or a full arsenal of rods and flies? Dunno...

Lol...sorry, meant fly gear....3-4 wt rods? Did you have to match the hatch or were attractor
    flies enough?

Really cool trip Dave!

Hey EO-

That's what I thought you meant, but I wasn't certain. Montana and Idaho are both pretty RED states and TEA is a popular drink up there and yes, I did see several folks open carry during my trip. It doesn't bother me to see others with them, but I don't open carry myself.

I had four rods with me: a 7' four weight being the smallest and shortest, and the largest a 9' six weight. The others were a 9' five weight and then my 12' Tenkara rod, which was fun to use on some of the smaller streams. Most of the action was on the surface, which is why I like to go to these states this time of year, because even if there isn't a hatch (which there often was) you can prospect and more times than not, the trout are looking up, and will come up and take what you're drifting by.

The six weight was for the streamers I was dredging when I was looking for bigger trout (or bulls), and because some of the current in some of these rivers can be pretty swift. Even a 15" rainbow in the current will put a serious bend in your six weight and feel like a much larger fish than it really is. My three weight (the smallest rod I own) would've been doomed in many situations up there. Other than streamers, I used three dries most often: EH caddis, a parachute Adams and a parachute PMD. Yes, there were nice hatches of caddis and PMDs quite often, but I don't want to drive all the way to the Rockies to have to dredge nymphs. Nymphs are fine, sure, but I would much rather fish dry flies if I can. The funny thing about the bull trout I've caught, while none of them have been very big, all of them I caught with dries, contrary to the common idea that you have to dredge big streamers right along the bottom to get into a bull trout. That's not my experience...so far, at least.

If you've never been to either state; GO! There is a LIFETIME of places to check out and fish. I really love it up there...at least this time of year. I heard that the winters are BRUTAL and really long.
    Last edited by Fly Guy Dave; 07-28-2014 at 09:31 AM.

Dave,
    Terrific photo essay! Did you encounter any problems from the smoke from fires to the west? Understand
    that has been a problem. Thanks for sharing!
    Best,
    Larry S

Great info Dave - I would not have nymphed either. I get tired of slinging
    lead and indicators as it is. Three dries...that's funny. I often have this
    conversation with a buddy...could probably fish most California waters with
    a handful of dries and nymphs.

Ya, I've heard the same with Bulls...sinking line and big streamers. Interesting.

Those states are definitely on my bucket list.

Thanks for the detailed info...great stuff!

Eric