Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot plants are slurping up CA's water.......

Default Pot plants are slurping up CA's water.......

Pot plants slurp up California's water supply
    Harriet Taylor
    7 Hours Ago
    CNBC.com

California cannabis growers may be making millions, but their thirsty plants are sucking up a priceless resource: water. Now scientists say that if no action is taken in the drought-wracked state, the consequences for fisheries and wildlife will be dire.

"If this activity continues on the trajectory it's on, we're looking at potentially streams going dry, streams that harbor endangered fish species like salmon, steelhead," said Scott Bauer of the California Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Studying aerial photographs of four watersheds within Northern California's so-called Emerald Triangle, Bauer found that the area under marijuana cultivation doubled between 2009 and 2012. It continues to grow, with increasing environmental consequences.

Bauer presented data to CNBC indicating that growers are drawing more than 156,000 gallons of water from a single tributary of the Eel River, in Mendocino County, every day.

The average marijuana plant needs about 6 gallons of water a day, depending on its size and whether it's grown inside or outside, according to a local report that cited research. Pot growers object to that number, saying that the actual water use of a pot plant is much less.

Read MoreInvesting in pot: Pipe dreams or paths to profit?

Although the marijuana business has helped revive the local economy, residents may now be feeling the effects of living alongside growers. And, as growers—some legal, some not—face an ongoing, severe drought, local law enforcement officers expect the fight over natural resources to intensify.

"I never want to see crime increase, but I have a feeling it will, because of the commodities that are up here," said Humboldt County Sheriff Mike Downey. "When we get to the end of the grow season, which is August and September, the need for enhanced water availability is gonna be there, and I don't think the water's going to be there, so you're going to see people, I believe, having some conflict over water rights."

Stream water rules in California are the same for growers of marijuana as they are for growers of any crop: Growers should divert no more than 10 percent of a stream's flow, and they should halt diversion altogether during late summer, when fish are most vulnerable to low water levels. But Bauer pointed out that those rules apply to permit holders, and most marijuana growers haven't bothered to get permits.

Read MoreCramer is giddy about an overseas marijuana stock

With so much of California's cannabis business operating in the more lucrative underground market, and with so many growers across the region (see the map below), the California Department of Fish and Wildlife and the Humboldt County Sheriff's office say they lack the resources to eradicate all offenders. So they target the most egregious.

In this map of Humboldt County, California, provided by law enforcement, each pin indicates a marijuana grow site that police have located. Yellow pins are discovered sites; red pins are sites that have been raided.
    Source: Humboldt County Sheriff’s Office
    In this map of Humboldt County, California, provided by law enforcement, each pin indicates a marijuana grow site that police have located. Yellow pins are discovered sites; red pins are sites that have been raided.
    "We get those calls daily. People are upset. Somebody has dried up a stream, somebody is building a road across sensitive fish and wildlife habitat, so that is happening on a daily basis," Bauer said. "And we do our best with the personnel we have to respond to those calls."

Read MoreWashington issues first pot shop licenses

Sheriff Downey concurred with Bauer about the manpower challenge authorities face.

"We have a very active marijuana unit that is out there, especially during the grow season. But we have so many grows here that we have a hard time keeping up or making a valiant dent in the marijuana growing in the county," said Downey.

"With the increase in water usage and pressure upon that, that lucrative business becomes even more lucrative because the price of the marijuana, the value of it, goes up even though we've had a glut on the market the last few years," he added.

One increasingly popular solution among some growers is the collection of rain water during the wetter, winter months that they can use to water crops during the dry, summer season.

Read MoreNot looking at pot as 'windfall' for economy: Colorado Gov.

"As long as cannabis farms remain small and decentralized, there's no reason why we can't grow everything we need to meet the state's demands using all stored rain water," says Hezekiah Allen, an environmental consultant and director of public affairs for the Emerald Growers Association.

And for some, it's a business opportunity.

"I've heard people shut down their grow operations, bought water trucks and have changed from growing to supplying waters to the other growers," said Chip Perry, a consultant for MC2, a service that helps people obtain medical marijuana cards.

—By CNBC's Harriet Ta
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Very sad for the fish up in that part of the state!

There is a good Youtube video that shows the grows on google maps.

It's just greed.

I hope we legalize it and they grow it in the central valley. Hopefully that will put those small growers out of business. Maybe the tax on it can even help restore some of our fish runs as well.

Best,
    Last edited by SeanO; 07-07-2014 at 07:46 PM.

Here is link that includes those maps- http://news.yahoo.com/study-finds-me...142619088.html

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/jun/25/36/

Just another day in Humboldt... Maybe the Van Duzen will dry up this year and the bros will be stealing water from rural elementary schools again.

Thumbs up Lost Coast Article....

If you read down the comments to the article, there's a link to video, "HILLBILLY Parody". It's really funny....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Just a guess here, but I kinda think we shot ourselves in the foot with the "quasi legal" status of marijuana in California. With an increase in demand that is not equal to an increase in production and you have a VERY lucrative commodity. Had legalization occurred back in the 70's or 80's I really wonder what the situation might look like today. The current state of affairs is frustrating to say the least. I do have to question some of the stats listed in that report though, such as "6 gallons of water per plant, per day". That sounds WAY, WAY off for just about any plant of that size to me. I'm just guessing here based on what we give our tomato plants, which I would think would need more water than similarly sized pot plants?

I have no issue with small time, backyard growing; the large scale commercial level production really needs to be far, far more regulated than it currently is. Trouble is, just about any time you have a product that is so potentially profitable it becomes surprisingly hard to manage/control... go figure there. Since I'm sure there are some on this board who do partake for a wide range of reasons, if it were me I would insist/demand that any marijuana that I purchased/used was organically and sustainably grown. Just something to consider while this mess is being sorted out. I know that there is at least some very "green" marijuana being produced out there (no pun intended), but I have a feeling that it is probably not the majority that is offered out on the streets.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I hear ya, Jason.

I think the producers up in the triangle probably market their kind bud much as you describe... organic, sustainable, mom & pop just trying to make a little money.

I doubt the growers have much conscience about stealing water from fish, using non-organic fertilizer, rodent killer, etc.

It's all about the $$$.

I would welcome small-scale air-deployed defoliant application on their grows and also bringing in big tobacco to come grow it in the Sac valley.

Best,

Stumbled on a grow while on the water with a client, we only saw a small part of it, but I did notice the green of the hill get much lighter as your eyes traced up the canyon . Seeing the white foam coming off the packed in potting soil into the creek was a sobering sight. Let's just say those growers will be getting a visit from some officials soon....

I was wondering how long before they started going after the marijuana growers to lay more blame on the drought. I just wish they could get the farmers to update their 19th century watering equipment. At least they aren't attacking the golf course people much anymore, especially since they found out that in California they have to use reclaimed water which can not be used for drinking.

And for the record, an average marijuana plant does not require 6 gallons of water a day. I knew people that had plants as big as 20' tall and they did not water even close to that much. I wish these people would at least state facts and not some made up BS!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Pot Grows. meh....

Not to pile on so to speak but there's an article on this subject in the latest issue of the California Fly Fisher Mag.

Scott,.... Pot growers are farmers, too....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown