Thread: A Golden Backpacking Trip (with pics!)

Default A Golden Backpacking Trip (with pics!)

After far to many delays and excuses, I finally made an excursion to a lake that I have been meaning to go to for several years. This lake, which shall remain nameless, is rumored to contain large golden trout and lahontan cutts in its waters. Although I mostly caught goldens, I did manage a large (20” +-) cutt, but alas, no photo. I left early Monday and got back today and I saw no one the whole time I was on the trail or at the lake. I had the place to myself for three whole days. Pretty difficult to do in a state of 33 million people, I must say!

Getting to the lake required a somewhat lengthy backpack in, with an unpleasant uphill slog to the lake itself at the very end. Here is an easily recognized monolith nearby, which might give a clue to those that have been there before, and know of where I speak.

The canyon below the lake had a profusion of wildflowers this time of year, this wild iris being an example.

I caught this nice golden the first night when it was getting pretty dark, this being one of the larger ones. I love the spawning colors and kyped jaw on this guy.

Here is a more typically sized golden that I caught. I did see several that were much (MUCH!) larger, but they wanted nothing to do with me or my flies. Still, it was cool to see them.

Once I had the lake more or less figured out (at least this time), I became curious about the stream in the valley below, where I saw plenty of fish swimming around when I was hiking in. There was also the wind, which was absolutely screaming across the ridge-tops, bringing in the cooler weather. Here is a small portion of the stream:

What was inhabiting its waters? The ubiquitous eastern brook trout.

They were easy to catch and plentiful, but the wind was still screaming down the valley, so hard that I was afraid that it would rip my tent right out of the ground. I think the only thing keeping it from ending up in Nevada was me sitting inside of it, even staked down. Yeah…it was blowing THAT hard! I decided that I’d had enough, so I beat it back to the trailhead, making good time, but still getting back to my rig at 9:30 PM. Two good things to come from this: no mosquitoes and a cool lenticular(ish) cloud formation.

Ultimately, I was glad I left when I did, as I woke up to a steady rain drumming on the roof of my camper shell at 3:00 AM, which continued well into the morning. That would have been a real drag to walk back in when going to back to the trailhead…but at least the wind had stopped!

That’s about it. Enjoy!
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man." --Jeff Lebowski

Some pics of native salmonids: http://flyguydave.wordpress.com/

Thanks, FlyGuy for posting your report with great pics!! Enjoyed the virtual trip very much. The color on those goldens always amazes me.
    Betty

Dave,
    Great photo essay. Especially like the scenery pics. Noticed on the CrowleyCam that the Mammoth Lakes
    area had some rain this AM.
    Best,
    Larry S

Very nice!

Awesome!!!

Those have got to be some of the biggest goldens I've ever seen! Very cool!
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Good timing on your exit. We were a bit north of you. Only set up a tent due to wind blown sand (and mosquitos in the pauses), never a thought of rain. Went to sleep under stars and cloudless skies and woke to steady downpour sometime after midnight. Of course we were in a nice little wind protected depression that made a perfect pond. Everything soaked, we began the long hike out at about 7:00 am. Finally hit the trailhead at 3:00. It rained/snowed nearly the entire way.
    Last edited by Ralph; 06-27-2014 at 07:17 PM.