Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switch Rod Set Up

Default Switch Rod Set Up

I am looking for advice and personal opinions concerning a swith rod set up.
    I fish mostly on the Klamath, and I am addicted to swinging flies, especially skating flies.
    I currently have a Beulah 10'6" 6/7, and sometimes it is not enuf for the bigger fish or with heavier lines.
    Two spey gurus (Craig Nielsen and Jason Hartwick), like using the new Rage lines especially for skating flies, and I want to buy a new set up that would handle bigger fish on the swing, with bigger skating flies.
    So what rod/reel/line set up should I look at?
    Thanks in advance for your knowledge and opinions

Call the shop and ask for Doug, Bryce, Terry or Andy......all our staff fish two handed but these are our top Spey guys.

I like the Echo3 11' #7 Switch for a medium price point.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

For the Klamath I can't think that I would want to go heavier than a 6/7. That rod (according to RIO) is rated for 375-425 Skagit and 360-390 scandi.

either of those lines should turn over most skating type flies and most any "typical" weighted fly with some weight associated (though not dead chickens).

If the rod is not turning over the flies I would look to your leader.

But that rod should be able to handle most any steelhead you would be targeting on the Klamath. I have not cast the Beulahs much so really do not know them but you might want to step up to a longer spy rod for the Klamath

My go to rods for that river in the fall are an Anglers Roost 12/ 2/3 wt and an older Anderson 12' for a 4 as well as a very old single hand Fisher 10' 7 wt I converted to a switch and I have landed fish over 10# with no problems

Best,
    Rick

Question Switch Problems....

"I currently have the Beulah 10'6" 6/7, and sometimes it is not enuf for the bigger fish or with heavier lines." From your description that the rod "....is not enuf...." I'm confused. The rating for your rod is equivalent to a 12 weight. It seems to me that you may've over-lined by too many sizes or have the wrong line altogether but the rod should be enough to handle most anything, casting or landing fish.

I agree with Rick. A 10' 1/2", 6/7 Beula rod is more than enough to cover most anything you're going to do on the Klamath/Trinity system. I own the same rod and use it to cast overhead or spey and haven't had any problems casting heavy flies or landing fish in the surf or in rivers. My only complaint has been that it's too heavy for my needs. I've opted for a 4/5 version of the same rod. Wouldn't hesitate to fish either one most anywhere.

As suggested by Rick, take a look at your leader and the line choices to see if either's the source of the problems. I have no suggestion for a new line weight or type. Why not take your outfit in to Kiene's or your local shop for some first hand advice.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Darian View Post
    "I currently have the Beulah 10'6" 6/7, and sometimes it is not enuf for the bigger fish or with heavier lines." From your description that the rod "....is not enuf...." I'm confused. The rating for your rod is equivalent to a 12 weight.
    On the rating of spey rods it is often touted that the rod equates to a single hand rod two line sizes heavier, which seems about right in terms of what size stuff you can cast. I personally have found that comparison really does not equate in terms of fish fighting capabilities; I've found that my 9' 8wt single hand rod can absolutely handle bigger fish more effectively than my 11' 6wt switch rod.

More direct to the OP questions, I'm a tad confused by a few of your comments as well. Could mean lots of things I suppose. When you say your rod has trouble handling heavier lines, what lines/tips/leaders/flies are we talking about? I would think that the Rage line would work quite well for fishing whatever you wish on the Klamath, though they may be a bit longer than you would want for your current switch rod (depending on what casting style you're using). Totally agree with Rick on two key points: a 6/7wt (or even a 5/6wt imo) should be plenty for the Klamath, and I would also personally prefer a bit longer rod for the Klamath as well.
    Good luck,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

The rating for your rod is equivalent to a 12 weight.
    That rod is nowhere near a single-hand 12-weight either in casting or fish-fighting ability. Particularly what it is possible to spey cast, in terms of fly size/weight, is less -- an awful lot less -- than what can be overhead cast with a head of similar weight.

To the subject of the OP:

My suggestion would be to consider what maximally expands your tackle capability subject to what it is reasonable to use given your most likely fishing destinations. Given you have a 10.5' 6/7, I would suggest for the next rod going up to a 12' to 13' rod in a full-7 or 7/8 rating. An 11' to 11.5' 7wt will not be that different from what you already have. A 12, 12'6", or 13' rod in a 7 or 7/8 will give you more reach and line control, nice on the the lower river sections, and the ability to throw a heavy enough head to chuck some pretty hefty winter flies. If ever you fish the coastal systems or some of the larger Oregon rivers both of these are attractive attributes. A 7/8 is a big rod for the average Klamath fish but not quite yet excessive, IMO, and will make heavy winter tackle less effort. Light rods are fashionable, but not necessarily the most efficient choice. With a longer rod, you will be in a better position to experiment with short-head spey lines (i.e. 40' to 50' head lengths) which are a really nice option for summer floating line work, even on small systems like the Trinity and upper Klamath.

Having said that, with a shooting head system, I agree with the previous, for most summer work, lines in your weight class should be fine. You may get more mileage spending on hour with a local expert doing some casting analysis.
    Last edited by troutless; 06-23-2014 at 10:10 PM.

Question Equivalency....

Geez!!!.... In making that statement I was referring to AFTMA standards for fly lines weights. Nothing more....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Darian - certainly that is the way I read your post
    Best,
    R

Geez!!!.... In making that statement I was referring to AFTMA standards for fly lines weights. Nothing more....
    Just sharing my personal experiences as I thought they related to the questions in the OP, wasn't trying to jump on your case or anything. In terms of handling larger fish, I think the line specs could be very misleading there.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Darian,
    You old trouble maker! Looks like you had another neat trip to the Baja region. You should hook up with
    David and Candida Lee for their summer run to mid-Baja this summer. I considered it and decided on
    another cataract surgery instead. You must be doing well if you are venturing into Baja.
    Best,
    Larry S