Thread: Davis Lake minnows ?

Default Davis Lake minnows ?

Seen lots of these little fish hiding under my float tube at Camp 5, does anyone know what these are ????

I'm no minnow expert but those look like baby trout to me. Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

I would have to agree with Tony. Those barred sides are sure trouty looking. They have probably moved into the lake from the feeder creeks from this springs spawn.

I'm thinking sz 2 baby bow.........on a deep sink line.

Jim
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Big Fly.....I caught a bluegill at Davis and heard that some black bass was caught at Mosquito Slough last year.....most of the minnows i seen in the north end of the lake has been in the shallow bays right along the shore, a size 2 is right on.....i can hardly wait for it to begin.

Quote Originally Posted by gene goss View Post
    Big Fly.....I caught a bluegill at Davis and heard that some black bass was caught at Mosquito Slough last year.....most of the minnows i seen in the north end of the lake has been in the shallow bays right along the shore, a size 2 is right on.....i can hardly wait for it to begin.
    Gene,

FRSam and I have never ever found a minnow in a belly of a trout at Davis, I hope you can prove us wrong. We found crayfish in the bellies when the snail population was at an all time low though. John Pato from http://420incfishing.com/index.html, a long time Portola local and avid bass dude has caught bass in Lake Davis in the last 3 years.

Why would a trout want to expend so much energy on chasing a minnow when it can graze like a cow and get full in a hurry? Again, I hope you can prove me wrong buddy, cause stripping flies keeps an angler warm when it's cold out (think Eagle Lake). - J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

I think they are small baby Rainbow Trout?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Jon.....you know me to well LOL.....i fish for the grab is my fishing style, and most of times it isn't the best way to put big numbers in the catching department.
    I'm no expert on the feeding habits of trout, but this spring i stuck my thumb into the mouth of some of the 20+ inch. trout that i caught and found a mouth full of teeth waiting for me. When a trout reaches 20+ inches the teeth are there for a reason, to help them hold on to a bait fish, crayfish, etc....you are right Jon why would a trout chase a bait fish when it can graze like a cow.
    In the winter when the lake has ice over there are no hatches....i think.....but the bait fish are right there with those big trout under the ice....scary. We may not see any minnow's in the bellies of the trout in the spring and fall, but a well placed marabou streamer could get you a grab.....i live for the grab.

At Davis, I use a 300gr sinking line, on an 8wt, just like Pyramid.
    Fishing a sz2 floating bugger, towed..........at different speeds/depths.
    Seems to work most everywhere........I don't check what they had for dinner, I ask what they'd like.......
    DON'T lay your rod down!!!!! The grabs can be very sudden (If only occasional). I'm not a numbers guy.........
    If fish are in shallows, I use a slow sink/floater streamer, on a dry, or slime line.
    I'd rather fish floating snails or damsels to rising pigs,(like the old days) but I do what I have to do.
    Have seen smoke on the water, Fall may be here already.....

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 08-24-2014 at 09:23 AM.