Thread: Hurricanes....

Exclamation Hurricanes....

Just out of curiosity, I checked the NOAA, Nat'l Hurricane Center's website to find out what was happening off the Pacific coast of Mexico. An eastern Pacific hurricane (Cristina) reached category 4 status on the 12th of June. This is the second category 4 hurricane this month in the eastern Pacific. Both cyclones wandered out to sea or over into the Carribean and, Altho, Cristina has dissipated/downgraded somewhat, it's still a hazard to shipping. This is the second time in history of satellite observed storms that 2 cyclones reached category 4 in the eastern Pacific before the end of June and there's still a half of the month left. Looks like it could be an interesting year for hurricanes around the Sea of Cortez.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I'm hoping none come close to land until the usual September time frame .....

We'll be on the Pacific side in early August - farther North than they 'normally' hit .... but still an area that will get the rain if a Chubasco hits .

D.~

This is actually the third storm of the early season. One was a classified as a tropical storm and gave the area of Cancun, Belize some major flooding. According to NOAA, the hurricane season should have less hurricanes on the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico side. I think they predicted 12 named hurricanes but only 3-4 as catagory 3 and higher. When I flew out of Cabo yesterday, it had rain the day before and it looked like it was going to rain on Sat. night. This was the outer flanks of hurricane Christina. I'm sure this also created the big waves along the beaches. Big waves in Muertos and along the lighthouse. The punta had 6' waves wrapping around the point and going down the beaches. For those that surf, you would've loved the right it created and it was a long perfect feathered wave. Great for surfing bad for launching a panga.
    Yep, I'm home for a couple days thanks to United Airlines. But leaving on Tuesday evening

I"m sure you've read on other web sites and maybe even this one, about UA not allowing to carry on rods or anything bigger than their size chart. I carried reels in my back pack and a rod on board, no questions asked. I also saw other doing the same