Thread: New to Spey and a thanks...

Default New to Spey and a thanks...

Hello all,

I posted some of this on another site and forum but this one I wanted to say some things on to thank some deserving people.

I'm an average fly fisherman and… I was told… I have a decent tight easy casing style with better than average control and distance. I have and use a 4, 5, 6, and 8wt one hand set ups (Actually, the 5 wt is the wife's).

At a family gathering last year, I expressed an interest in trying out a Spey casting. From the questions asked I should have known… because on Christmas I was presented with a rod and reel. Both are off brands but seem acceptable to try Spey casting The rod is a Northern Guide Spey Fly Rod 13 Foot 6 inch 8 9 WT 4 Piece Sage and the reel is a AB Large Arbor CNC Aluminium 9 11 Salmon Fly Fishing Reel.

Certainly a poor man’s starter setup but I’d be reluctant to spend more at this time after adding the cost of the fly lines and a lesson.

The reel is out of the UK, but there are no markings as to its origin…maybe China or even India possibly a Brytec. It’s fully machined from billet aluminum. There were some post on a UK site about them, but I think they were all the cast/machined versions. Their comments were the reels were OK for the most part.

The rod, as I said, was a 13' 6" Spey 8/9. I was able to track down where bought the rod and they were nice enough to take it back and in exchange for the 12' 7", 7/8 version.

No one I could find knows anything about the Northern Guide rods and it had no grain weight listing. Knowing nothing about Spey I was undecided on which lines to use as a beginner… however, I was leaning toward a Scandi after doing a little web searching. I would like to try a traditional short head some day.

I live within twenty minutes of the California delta and less than hour from the Lower, lower Sacramento and American Rivers.

I spent some time at Kiene's Fly Shop in Sacramento the other day getting the feel of different Spey rods. Ironically, when doing a direct cast flex comparison the Northern Guide felt closest to their CF Burkheimer 7127-4 7 Wt. So much for thinking that would help…I’m not sure you can make that sort of comparison.

I was also, with Kiene's help, able to get in contact with Jeff Putnam for lesson. That lesson was this past Monday afternoon but since we were having a bit of a heat wave (104 to 109) ... we rescheduled for earlier in the day. He promised to bring a number of lines for me to try so that with his help, I could see what line worked best for me and this rod.

Mind you, I’d never touched a spey prior to lesson with Jeff, and I was quite happy with his patience plus his method of introduction into Spey casting. We worked through the basic “D” loop, then into a single Spey cast, and followed that with a double Spey, then a snap “T” along with direction change.

He gave me an excellent foundation for setting up my “D” loop, anchor point, anchor point shape, and key ‘eye point triggers’ for timing and moving from each phase of the cast to the next. He answered my questions, and continually reinforced the key points of the cast, then finished with an excellent summary.

Jeff brought, as promised, different weight lines for me to try and we settled on a Rio Scandi Shooting Head 450gr 34ft. Then after the lesson I stopped at the fly shop (Kiene’s) and bought that line. I also decided on a Rio shooting line .035, though this may be considered ideally better suited for a 575gr plus head it felt better in my fingers for retrieval.

At Jeff’s suggestion, I also pickup three Rio Spey VersiLeaders in a Float, 3.9 IPS, and a 7.0 IPS 24lb. to complete the setup. Jeff, on his own, called Kiene’s before I got there to assure I got the right shooting head and weight. My thanks’ to Jeff and the people at Kiene’s
    Last edited by sclark; 06-11-2014 at 10:23 PM.

Sounds like you did everything right, getting a lesson from one of the best out there and talking to some very knowledgeable folks at Kiene's. Congrats on the start of what should be a long rewarding adventure!!!!

Uh, Oh!
    There's how it starts, it's all downhill from there. Welcome to the wonderfully addictive realm of spey casting. I too have had some great help from several of the Kiene's staff, and an extremely helpful short lesson from Jeff Putnam. About the lines, you will likely find at some point that you'll wish to have a few different options depending on species, conditions, and presentation. One of the really cool things about switch and spey rods is how differently they can perform with different line configurations depending on what you're looking for.
    Cheers,
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Rick J View Post
    Sounds like you did everything right, getting a lesson from one of the best out there and talking to some very knowledgeable folks at Kiene's. Congrats on the start of what should be a long rewarding adventure!!!!
    +2 here! With that knowledge your on your way with no bad habits. Welcome aboard and be prepared to own a arsenal of Spey rods within a few years the addiction has begun!
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 06-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.

Third that on addiction! 5 SH rods, 6 DH rods, fly tying equipment and materials. Should have taken up crack, it would have been cheaper!

Welcome to the board! Glad you got your setup dialed in.

sclark,
    Welcome to both worlds; Kiene and 2H rods.
    I'm puzzled by the word "sage" at the end of the first rod -
    Northern Guide Spey Fly Rod 13 Foot 6 inch 8 9 WT 4 Piece Sage. Is this a Sage blank, the color "sage," or what.
    Just curious. Your best decision so far has been choosing a session with Jeff Putnam. California is blessed to have so
    many talented and personable guide/instructors.
    Best,
    Larry S
    Best to you

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    sclark,

I'm puzzled by the word "sage" at the end of the first rod -
    Your best decision so far has been choosing a session with Jeff Putnam. California is blessed to have so
    many talented and personable guide/instructors.
    Larry S
    Best to you
    You got that right about Jeff being a great instructor. I'm a credentialed instructor in another hobby/sport and an amateur instructor in another. He is well versed in his trade and the art of teaching.

The word 'sage' was in the description of the the rod (which I found on E-bay during my search for info about the rod), I should have dropped it off my post.
    Last edited by sclark; 06-12-2014 at 11:08 PM.

Jeff is not only a great instructor, but his enthusiasm for the sport is infectious.