Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bollibokka anyone have extra space???

Walters back!!

I love reading this shit when you guys get into it!

Walter is correct

Sigh....

Probably everyone posting to this forum wants to preserve fishable water and ecosystems and the trout that reside in them. That said, I think the advice given here is not only misguided, but dead wrong. The Pebble Mine, for example, was not slowed/stopped by boycotting copper, or by refusing to go to Alaska! Bristol Bay WILL be preserved by "the people" beating the mining companies the courts, in congress, and at the EPA.

The Westlands Water District was reported to have purchased the Bollibokka property for "just under $35M". Going by the fees they charge, The Fly Shop grosses somewhere around $350,000 per year (plus or minus) if the Bollibokka property is fully occupied for the entire trout season. That is 1% of the cost of the property. It would take 100 years to pay off the purchase price with a zero percent loan. After The Fly Shop takes their cut and the property is cared for, it's hard to believe that there is really that much that returns to Westlands, anyway.

I suggest exactly the opposite of what other posters seem to be espousing -- I think everyone should find a way to go to Bollibokka at least once; fall in love with it; get as many other people to go and fall in love with it, too. Probably the biggest enemy of our wild lands is the giant urban population in this state that has no clue what is lost when when the lands are not preserved.

Probably most people reading this would have preferred for The Nature Conservancy to have been able to purchase the land. I get that and agree with it, but the ownership is what it is. What we can do is try to take advantage of what access is offered, find a way to share that experience with others, and be sure to contribute time and $$$ to those trying to preserve it.

My thoughts...

Does the property owner intend to preserve the property when the lake is raised? I agree with your sentiments. But the property was purchased with the inent of raising the lake. Its in the Westands Newsletter from the time.

Question Bollibaka Rates....

motosacto,.... Maybe you can clarify this. Not sure I understand your calculation of amounts received by The Fly Shop and what may be paid by it to retire a loan. It only makes sense to me if The Fly Shop leased the right to manage the property not buy it. So it seems to me that The Fly Shop didn't buy the Bollibaka property but leased leased it for a specified period/amount for as long as it suits Westlands....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown