Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bollibokka anyone have extra space???

Default Bollibokka anyone have extra space???

Hello ALL,

I have been going to Bollibokka for Seven years in a row. It is the most magnificent place. The group of friends I go with every year is not coming together this year. Not going to Bollibokka is crushing me. I live all year for this trip.
    If anyone is going or knows of a group that would like to supplement the cost by selling me a space PLEASE contact me (PM me I will send you my phone number).
    I have over 50 days FISHING the clubhouse and waystation sections of Bollibokka. I would love to share my knowledge and experience with your group. I have fished both the clubhouse and way station sections. If you sell me a spot im just as happy to keep to myself or integrate with your group wichever you prefer. If your new to bollibokka I can help you find some nice fish, I can help with fly selection and/or setups. I can hold my own in the kitchen as well. Lower your cost and bring along a bollibokka veteran. I am 36 years old and I have a B.S. in watershed sytems (I love rivers!). Thanks for your time.

Mike

Lower section below Clubhouse
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000460.jpg 
Views:	714 
Size:	98.4 KB 
ID:	9115

If you care about California Water issues then you would not patronize this place as long as it is owned by Westlands Water District.

The area was purchased with the intention of raising Lake Shasta, as stated in Westlands Newsletter.

I will not patronize the Fly Shop as long as they "...proudly represent the interests of Westlands Water District."
    Last edited by Walter; 12-18-2014 at 12:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    If you care about California Water issues then you would not patronize this place as long as it is owned by Westlands Water District.

The area was purchased with the intention of raising Lake Shasta, as stated in Westlands Newsletter.

I will not patronize the Fly Shop as long as they "...proudly represent the interests of Westlands Water District."
    Walter: There's something to be said for letting sleeping dogs lie. The original post was back in early June 2014. You obviously have a problem with this, but why did you wait 6 months to share it?

On a related note: who's got the popcorn...this outta liven things up around here (hang on folks!).

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    Walter: There's something to be said for letting sleeping dogs lie. The original post was back in early June 2014. You obviously have a problem with this, but why did you wait 6 months to share it?

On a related note: who's got the popcorn...this outta liven things up around here (hang on folks!).
    Because I feel strongly about the issue and was too buzy this summer to read it.

Whats your problem? Don't care about the watershed?

Letting sleeping dogs lie is how our rivers got so screwed up. Get a clue

If you support Bollibakka or The Fly Shop you are not helping with conservation or restorative ecological issues. Plain and Simple.

Merry Christmas! Maybe Santa will bring you a fish conscience. Now go eat your popcorn.

Geez Walter, it's one thing to be passionate about a conservation issue that's of obvious importance to all of us (although I'm still not sure what exactly that is), but it's quite another to attack a member of the forum for expressing an opinion about the curious timing of your post. Sorry if I touched a nerve. Merry Christmas I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    Geez Walter, it's one thing to be passionate about a conservation issue that's of obvious importance to all of us (although I'm still not sure what exactly that is), but it's quite another to attack a member of the forum for expressing an opinion about the curious timing of your post. Sorry if I touched a nerve. Merry Christmas I guess.
    Look up Westlands Water District. Their history of screwing fish. The ask yourself why The Fly Shop in Reddig would work with them to run Bollibakka. Thats the issue that makes me upset.

Both should be boycotted.

Walter you clearly care a lot about this.
    But personally I dont think you're going to help others to understand your pov with posts like this.
    How about some more information so more of us can understand the situation.
    I'm not a fan of private waters, New Zealand is wonderful testament to value or public water and access. But I don't know a lot about the situation here.
    Care to elaborate?

Having only fished the McCloud once, I was pretty oblivious to the situation and while his reply to OP was a little out of left field, it led me to do a little digging on the subject, who Westlands Water District is and why they would shell out $33M for Bollibokka. It's pretty crazy and alarming that a water district in the southern Central Valley can manipulate legislation and protections to destroy this natural resource and it's history just for more water.

Here's some interesting articles I found:

Enlarging Shasta Lake feasible, U.S. report says - SFGate
    http://www.sfgate.com/science/articl...ys-3164364.php

McCloud River takes central role in dam-raising proposal - Record Searchlight (Redding)
    http://www.redding.com/news/beloved-...-mccloud-river

Amid California's drought, a bruising battle for cheap water
    http://www.latimes.com/local/califor...ry.html#page=1

Last edited by sierraangler; 12-31-2014 at 02:35 PM.

Great info, thanks for sharing.
    Based on this I understand and support opposition to Bol.
    I'll make point asking Fly shop for their pov.

I've followed the tangled history of this purchase a little and it is quite a web of greed and intrigue. Some of California's wealthiest dynastic families own estates along the McCloud. When the Hearst family donated that big estate in Cambria to the State, they made sure to keep the real gem in their real estate empire, Wyntoon on the McCloud. Its where Patty went to lay low after her kidnapping and bank robbing exploits. The Schillings (spice empire), Fishers (Gap) and Hills (Hills Coffee) among others all own private estates. T

The Hills owned Bolibokka for several generations and it was run as a family operated private fishing club. in 2007 they put it up for sale with an asking price of $30 million. The lead bidder was a property developer who wanted to build several luxury compounds on the property so a few more reclusive billionaires could enjoy their piece of the McCloud. This would not have been bad for the river because half a dozen billionaires with property interests on the lower McCloud makes for a lot of political clout to stop any proposed dam raising. The Nature Conservancy also had a reported $30m bid on the table.

That's when Westlands stepped in and offered the Hill family $35 million no questions asked. The Hills accepted the offer knowing that Westlands would eventually try to raise the dam and flood the lower McCloud. I guess even super rich people have their price.

Westlands have been trying ever since to convince the legislature that raising Shasta dam is a good idea. More water for their almond trees and more water for LA swimming pools....oh, and to move it all you need to build a peripheral to move it all around the delta.

For some reason, the Fly Shop after years of being a leading advocate against raising Shasta Dam, took over the management of Bolibokka for Westlands. If you love the McCloud and Bolibokka, you are hastening its flooding every time you put money in Westlands' pockets when you book a trip.
    Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 01-05-2015 at 03:52 PM.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy new fly fishing gear and that usually does the trick.