Thread: Rio introduces new SW shooting head series

Default Rio introduces new SW shooting head series

Posted by Kara Armano - Backbone Media on 2014-06-02 11:35:30 - on Dan Blanton's message board

Idaho Falls, Idaho (June 2, 2014 ) – RIO Products, industry-leading manufacturer of fly lines, leaders and tippet material, introduces saltwater anglers to a full range of floating, intermediate and sinking shooting heads in its cold, saltwater fly line series.

Based on the popular OutBound Short series of lines, RIO designed the OutBound Short Shooting Heads with a powerful front taper to cast the largest flies with ease and ensure long casts. The front-loaded weight distribution quickly loads rods, while the step down taper at the back allows for very long flight times and easy distance. The heads are built two sizes above American Fishing Tackle Manufacturers (AFTM) standard to correctly load modern rods, so there is no need to step up a line size as it is accomplished for anglers in the design. The OutBound Short Shooting Heads work well from 50-80ºF and have Extreme Slickness technology to ensure massive casts every time.

Available in ST7-ST10 weights, four density options complete any anglers’ arsenal – from full floating, to a sink rate of 1.5-2 inches per second (ips), 3-4ips and 6-7ips. The full floating lines are moss colored; 1.5-2ips are clear, 3-4ips are brown, and 6-7ips are black Each head has and Easy ID loop at the band end for quick recognition. Find any of these shooting heads at any RIO dealer for a retail price of $44.95.

About RIO Products:

RIO is a pioneer in developing fly lines, leaders and tippet material to enhance fly fishing experiences across the globe. Offering premium fly lines for both freshwater and saltwater fishing applications, RIO consistently utilizes field experience and scientific testing to create the best products on the market for anglers. Founded 20 years ago in the mountains of Idaho, RIO continues to develop innovative products, design revolutionary tapers and refine performance-driven fly line technologies. For more information about RIO Products, please visit www.rioproducts.com. Connect with us through Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Vimeo.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

RIO sink tip lines: I bought a type 6 last year rarely fished it and it broke (sink section) while fishing for stripers on the Sacramento.

Not sure I would buy another RIO line that sinks

Quote Originally Posted by DAVID95670 View Post
    RIO sink tip lines: I bought a type 6 last year rarely fished it and it broke (sink section) while fishing for stripers on the Sacramento.

Not sure I would buy another RIO line that sinks

I bit of a vague statement David. I mean maybe the line was nicked and had a pre cut but not to detach the tip then on that cast or swing or strip it broke off. All I use is Rio (only have one AirFlo line a skagit compact) lines or heads and nothing wrong at all. I have hauled in some monster fish and in current and maybe abusing the crap out of the line way more then it should take and they still are going strong.

To each their own I guess.
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

Right now Rio dominates in all the fly line categories.

It is actually our largest vendor as far as sales are concerned.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

im supprised by rio domination. I think airflo last longer. Rio seam to crack more especially around factory loops.
    On another note I tried a Sharskin line (SA i think) the other day on a single hand rod and was amazed at the reduction of friction going through the guides.....AMAZED I TELL YOU.
    I have no affiliation with any of these companies.

Didn't Sharkskin just close up shop?

You were two feet from me when the piece of crap line broke it was not abused it was hardly used. You were the one that commented that it broke in the middle of the sink tip and I had my 10# maxima on.

Tamed down observations :
    The Good, I RIO Spey lines are great

The Bad
    I have two RIO Grands both have chewed up and frayed end loops

The Rio welded loop sink tips are breaking often. The ends brake often, the RIO versa tips often break (what the ehck are the tensile strength of the versa tips

Which is why I tie my own and add my own braided loops.

Worst yet are the welded loops made at fly shops which cone apart quickly.

Bad day, well yeah it gets to 110F in the "office these days makes it kinda rough"

But for the most part RIO product quality is lower now then before

Also, while I love the grip shooter line mine has a lot of flaws in one of them all appear to be cosmetic with some kind of dust settling on the cover

I did have an Iflight where the sheath came apart in the clear intermediate section seems to have broken and the core was intact

while I own a lot of RIO my Airflow products have never had an issue nor SA products

AM i the only one with these issues?
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 06-07-2014 at 08:16 AM.

Sounds like someone is having a bad day...

BTW.. The Rio pr release was on the shooting heads, not the integrated lines. Rio now calls their heads Outbound because they have tapers and are not like the old school heads.

I hate to post this again but our individual experiences, conclusions and opinions are not worth a lot in the big picture.

All fly lines can break, crack and sink......

Rio, Airflow and SA are still the major players in the fly line world.

Cortland has been purchased and I think they are trying to get some of their market share back.

For about 50 years Cortland and SA dominated the fly line market, world wide.

Scientific Angler Mastery has been purchased from 3M by Orvis.

Then came along Rio and Airflo......

Things are always changing.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958