Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Catch and release argument

Default Catch and release argument

I recently got into an argument with my parents about my belief in catch and release. I said," I will not keep/bring home one steelhead trout I catch." The steelhead trout fishing has become so bad in my area American River that you are extremely lucky to catch three a week. My mother said," You won't even bring home one wild steelhead trout, even for me?" I replied with a stern "NO, but I am willing to bring home a hatchery steelhead trout as an alternative". She declined saying "They taste too fishy," (Yet on an annual charter salmon fishing trip we tasted a hatchery fish and it tasted minutely different). Then they stated how incredibly selfish I am, not wanting to a keep a fish over, fulfilling my parents wishes after all the things they have done for me (raising me and providing). Catching and releasing, especially wild steelhead trout is special to me because I want them to prosper. My parents think i'm crazy, because I wont bring home a wild fish; I love nature more than I love them. (Which is true). I was wondering if you can send me your thoughts on this argument.

Thank you,
    Nathan Nguyen

I am with you Nathan.

Wild Steelhead are to precious......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Just stop by the Meat market and buy them a Fish...Or even better take it to them cooked with a green salad and a Beverage...You will be son of the year....This way everybody wins....

Mike O Guest

I will keep a legal limit, or one fish, if I am hungry for fish. it matters not which stream I am on, or how other fishers feel about my keeping said fish (*cough) Hat Creek (*cough) but I will not keep wild steelhead.

Quote Originally Posted by nathanvn View Post
    Catching and releasing, especially wild steelhead trout is special to me because I want them to prosper. My parents think i'm crazy, because I wont bring home a wild fish; I love nature more than I love them. (Which is true). I was wondering if you can send me your thoughts on this argument.
    You mean, leaving aside the minor detail that retention of wild steelhead is illegal?

You and only you can decide the parameters of your own ethical code. The argument your parents are making -- we raised you, do whatever we say -- can be used to justify pretty much anything.

Hey Nathan-

I'm with you on this. Perhaps your parents would be happy if you brought them a limit of freshly caught hatchery trout...

T.

Nathan, just tell them it would be hard to get them the fish while you are sitting in jail for harvesting a wild fish, which is illegal.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Gotta catch them all pokemon style
    Aron-

"I own a time machine, but it only moves forward at regular speed..."

"So many rivers to fish so little time!"

This is a pretty interesting thread. Seems like those who already replied had some pretty good ideas/advice already. I've heard some fly fisherman say that they think catch and release is selfish. In the sense that it brings harm to the fish for our pleasure, and when one keeps a fish the meal that person obtains justifies harming the fish. While simply harming a fish for fun and then releasing it is not justifiable with this mentality. Catching and keeping fish (not just steelhead) in this argument is a bit about sustainability in the sense that we can catch our own food and not have to feed the machine. Not saying I agree with this logic, but I do think it is a bit thought provoking.

Out of all the years I've been fishing my Grandma was always wanting me to bring back fish. I always told her I would sometime, but because I was mostly fishing for wild trout/steelhead I never brought her back a nice dinner. My Grandma has now passed away. Obviously if I had ever been fishing for hatchery trout I would have gladly brought her back a stringer full, but this wasn't the case. I do think about how excited she would have been if I brought her back a stringer full. I know it would have made her soooo excited. Looking back I would take my Grandmother's smile lighting up over releasing even the nicest fish I had caught in the previous years, but I wouldn't want to go to jail for keeping a wild steelhead and thats not what my Grandma would have wanted either lol. I think the advice of bringing back fish from the store is pretty good. But the thing that makes the meal special in the Mother's/Grandmother's eyes is the fact that they're son/grandson caught it for them specifically. I mean lets be real, which is more personable? Fish caught in a nice clean river or fish taken out of a supermarket? Yes you could stay a catch and release purist and lie to whoever and say you caught the fish but that just isn't the same... Nothing really special about that. Most parents can tell when their child is lying to them anyways haha.
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

Great post Ryan!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    This is a pretty interesting thread. Seems like those who already replied had some pretty good ideas/advice already. I've heard some fly fisherman say that they think catch and release is selfish. In the sense that it brings harm to the fish for our pleasure, and when one keeps a fish the meal that person obtains justifies harming the fish. While simply harming a fish for fun and then releasing it is not justifiable with this mentality. Catching and keeping fish (not just steelhead) in this argument is a bit about sustainability in the sense that we can catch our own food and not have to feed the machine. Not saying I agree with this logic, but I do think it is a bit thought provoking.

Out of all the years I've been fishing my Grandma was always wanting me to bring back fish. I always told her I would sometime, but because I was mostly fishing for wild trout/steelhead I never brought her back a nice dinner. My Grandma has now passed away. Obviously if I had ever been fishing for hatchery trout I would have gladly brought her back a stringer full, but this wasn't the case. I do think about how excited she would have been if I brought her back a stringer full. I know it would have made her soooo excited. Looking back I would take my Grandmother's smile lighting up over releasing even the nicest fish I had caught in the previous years, but I wouldn't want to go to jail for keeping a wild steelhead and thats not what my Grandma would have wanted either lol. I think the advice of bringing back fish from the store is pretty good. But the thing that makes the meal special in the Mother's/Grandmother's eyes is the fact that they're son/grandson caught it for them specifically. I mean lets be real, which is more personable? Fish caught in a nice clean river or fish taken out of a supermarket? Yes you could stay a catch and release purist and lie to whoever and say you caught the fish but that just isn't the same... Nothing really special about that. Most parents can tell when their child is lying to them anyways haha.