Thread: Spey vs Standard

Default Spey vs Standard

I've noticed a lot of the fly-casters on the American looking for shad this year are spey instead of traditional casting. I've never used a two-handed rod and was wondering if you could explain the benefits of a spey casting set-up versus a traditional rod when fishing for shad. Thanks.

Kim

The benefit is that this year you will cast more and catch less. tight loops baby.

Nymph away cuz they are way out catching us spey casting to these rare and elusive fish

The normal way for catching shad on the American is swinging either with a SH rod using shooting heads or two handed spey or switch rod using Skagit or Sandi heads with sinktips or poly leaders. Two handed casting is a lot easier on your arms. In the past when I used a SH rod for shad my right arm and shoulder always ached and I felt like a Fiddler crab by the end of the run. You can cast all day long with a two handed rod without the shoulder and arm pain.

Lately, I've seen more people nymphing for them using indicators (think bobber fishing like a gear guy). With this years run and water conditions it might be the way to go. I gave it a try this past weekend and I could only handle it for 10 minutes!

Thanks for the input.

I've caught a few so far this season and it's been primarily nymphing with an indicator and a few swinging a fly. Maybe next year I'll graduate to a new way of casting ... because the idea of my arms aching less is always a fine sounding idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff C. View Post
    I gave it a try this past weekend and I could only handle it for 10 minutes!
    i too gave up quickly i simply lack the patience and my ADD make it for a full blown cursing as I untangle the mess over and over and over

i did cheat and brought a reel with a SH line on it to nymph with my 5116 one ....maybe if I use my 596 single hand it would be better

At least my casting is getting better on my switch rod so when do the Salmon start running?
    Last edited by DAVID95670; 05-12-2014 at 09:26 AM.

maybe we can start chumming the even riffles and good swinging runs like deer hunters so we can swing for these beasts