Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little truckee river question

Default LT impact by Guides

Dan----I was unaware that "....most, if not all guides..." would be receptive to more restrictive regulations and a winter closure on the LT. Why haven't they been vocal about it? My guess is that they don't want to "ruffle feathers".

Most anglers I speak with are for such and I've not received a lot of high-profile peer support from guides who legally operate on the LT via a USFS permit. As I've mentioned in my previous post, I've taken a lot of heat about my outspoken opinions the last several years.

I’ve actually mentioned my opinions on the LT to a paid staffer of a fishery conservation group. I was informed that the guides should be asked first. I was befuddled with the reply, because IMO, the guides are the problem…the fox guarding the henhouse.

Self-regulation has not worked. And yes, enforcement or lack thereof would be the real question.

You are on the Board of Directors of the local TU chapter; how does the local chapter suggest that concerned anglers proceed?

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 05-12-2014 at 07:59 AM.

I'm glad everybody is talking......
    But Ricky only wanted fishing info......

Jim

Default LT

BF---True.

But it slowly morphed into other matters related to the Truckee area and specifically the LT. Thereafter, I felt I was entitled to comment.

If anyone wants to talk to me about my opinions; please call me at 530-587-7333....if not in, leave a voice-mail and I'll return the call. I'm an inept "hunt & peck" typist. I challenge to all the people who talk the walk that it is time to walk the talk.

I'm spending to much time on this. I'm not guiding today, so I'm going fishing....the timing for an excursion has arrived.

Frank R. Pisciotta
    Last edited by Frank R. Pisciotta; 05-12-2014 at 11:31 AM.

Frank, I appreciate your concern with our efforts at the Truckee TU. One of our main programs we've been working on for almost 6 years has been a habitat restoration program for the LT. One of its main purposes is developing more habitat in the lower meadow, hopefully dispersing angling pressure from the top parking lot. We have thousands of dollars and man hours put into this program. We're hopefully going to break ground this fall or next. We just made some decent headway when it was officially announced Stampede reservoir is having a dam heightening project that will be clearing out some trees. It sounds like they will be giving us those trees to be used in the lower meadow. Before it was looking like we were going to have to rent a helicopter to bring in dead trees from the hillside in order to have minimum impact on the meadow. This is one of a long list of programs we volunteer for in our spare time. (except for the paid staffer Dave Lass of course) Again, I appreciate your concern and the next time we hold our board meeting I'll make sure to send you the info of when and where and you can come down and be involved. We can always use more people.

Winter closures- When we had big winters the road was snowed in and served as an angling buffer. This issue has come more to the forefront the last couple seasons with the exceptionally low water years. I'm not sure if we talked about this, but I've talked to quite a few guides in the area about this; Brian Slusser, Jim Landis, Dave Stanley and some others and the consensus has been winter closure would probably be very beneficial to the fish. I'm sorry if I hadn't been more vocal about this, but you've met me and my personality is not as outspoken as yours Frank. Maybe you can loan me some of that Italian spirit of yours?

Day closures- If we did closing the river on certain days, I think closing it off to all angling would probably be more sensible then just closing it off to guides. It would be easier to enforce and more importantly It would have a greater beneficial impact for the fish. A dedicated local can apply much more pressure on the fish then a guide teaching a few tourists how to roll-cast. I fish the LT a handful of times every year but I guide it probably 30+ days a year. Its quite a bit different when I fish it compared to when I guide it and I don't consider myself to be a great angler. Knowledgeable, maybe, but I'm clumsy, have mediocre reflexes and I don't see all that great compared to others. The other side of the coin, clients are more likely to break fish off and don't handle fish as well as more seasoned folks, even when instructed since they're still learning. Its definitely a trade off. Personally I'd hold off on day closures until we see the impact the stream improvements have but I think a winter closure is a no-brainer.

Moving forward - I hear you're the president of the local angling club, the TTFF. I used to be on the board and I know there's some very good folks over there. Have you asked the opinion of the club members? How do they feel about winter closures and possible day closures? I was somewhat involved in making some of the local waters artificial only with you and Joe and others, and I'd assume we'd go the same route for closure by petitioning the DF&W. Maybe we can talk about this in person at the TTFF meeting this week and bring our 2 groups together. Possibly try to fulfill the wishes of our memberships and of course try to help out the fishes.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 05-12-2014 at 01:07 PM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Dan, et al---I’m glad to see that others are coming around to thinking, minimally, that the LT should be closed to angling during the winter. A reduction on guide usage is still an issue to be considered.

The hope is that both the local TU chapter #103 and the Tahoe-Truckee Fly Fishers can work collaboratively to preserve, sustain and enhance the local fisheries.

For you younger folks who have the wherewithal and stamina to lobby for special regulations; I can offer my advice. I have experience on how to go about getting things done and navigate the labyrinth and hoops one has go through to bring important fishery regulations to fruition.

Now, we need someone to step-up and take the lead.

Frank R. Pisciotta

Guides are not the problem on the Little Truckee and never have been. Two of the guides in the Truckee area do 80 +% of their trips on the L.T. but that is not even a problem. Most of the fishermen on the L.T. are not guides but either anglers who do not get around real well and have problems wading the Truckee or anglers who have been to the Truckee and not done very well and thought the Little Truckee would be a good change of pace. The population of anglers in the area has increased 10 fold in the last 10 years and the Little Truckee will always be crowded now regardless of if the angler has paid for help or is fishing on his own. Either should be entitled to fish there equally.

I have appreciated and enjoyed the productive dialog, insight, and analysis that Jim, Dan, Ralph, Frank, and Doug have provided.

Thank You, Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    @Rob Anderson (bulldog), there is not a single educated person between Utah and the Pacific Ocean who believes a word that comes out of your mouth. This post is a perfect example of your spew. The area population has grown 7% (not 1,000%) and any fool can guess that they are not all anglers who fall on the LT as a last resort because they are cripples or inept . You are a lone wolf among those of us who actually want to improve and protect the fishery and not simply treat it as a cash register. You do NOT represent us and don't pretend to.
    Preserved for prosperity. Popcorn ready

Rob, I owe you an apology. I have to admit my blood boils when your name comes up because of the grief you inflicted on my close friend Dave Stanley. That said, I should have waited to cool down before responding to your post. ~Ralph

I am surprised that so many of you continue to get so worked up on the internet. Its like some of you just found the internet?? Of course it hurts when you favorite river or honey hole mallard spot is posted on the internet but this has happened for 10+ years. Its only going to get worse and no way to keep the guy who likes to post pics with the perfect background and gps coordinates listed on his photo. Don't let the internet create division between us anglers/hunters as we should stand together to protect our passions despite our different views. Until you start paying for a private forum to exchange reports and ideas we will all have to deal with "loose lips sink ships" mentality.