Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Little truckee river question

Default Little truckee river question

So thinking bout heading up there tomorrow afternoon. I've never fished it before and hear the flows are high right now. My questions is what are the normal flows, and should I wait till they come back down to normal? If so I'll hit the truckee.

Ricky, we don't post a lot about this little water, due to overpressure.
    The LT is running higher than the Big T near TC.
    250+ is a very nice flow, and allows the fish to spread out a bit. (If you can fish the T well, then these flows are sweet.)
    Instead of shooting fish in a barrel at lower flows.
    Last Summer, they held the flows to 40 cfs..........awful. I think DFW should have closed the water............
    Any way......now is good. A few risers, but mostly nymphing.
    Weekdays best......small flies, light tippet, and bring some sneak. These fish are hip.....and don't set too hard.....
    Send me a PM if you need more info.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-08-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

The modern era of social media is unforgiving on small water and rivers in general. Fishing pressure seems to come in heavy waves depending on what watershed is in vogue.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 05-09-2014 at 07:26 AM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

I was on the LT yesterday (Friday). Thought I'd sneak in before the seasonal human hatch started. Guess with the drought, humans along with the bugs are hatching a bit early. I wish with all my heart they would close that gem during off season, close it to guides, and close it when flows drop below 50 cfs. In Montana it would be a done deal. I've really grown to love their refreshing style of fisheries management where the fish comes first.

Ralph, I'm with you on the winter closure.
    I don't guide it much, but could agree on a per day number of guides. Or perhaps a no guide day, or two.
    Flows should be a steady 100cfs, with a big flush early season.
    If we looked out for fish.......humans would benefit as well....and I don't mean more fishing.
    Treating everything like a commodity, reduces our value as humans.

Jim

This morning on the Bob Simms Outdoor Show (ch. 1530) they were talking about how F&G just planted the Little Truckee and how good the fishing was. It's as if they were telling every fly guy in Sacramento where to go fish for the next few weeks.

I never thought about how small that little river really is because I never fished it much even when we lived up there. I remember there were several developed pull outs and parking areas along the road almost like they have at Putah Creek.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Tony, if you didn't like the PR on the radio, and you know it's a small water, should you have posted too?
    This is akin to calling an air strike on your own position. Except, you don't live here......
    I've posted hundreds of times, and mentioned the LT about 3-4 times, and felt that was too much.

Go fish the T if you want to get some game.........
    Otherwise, it's cheaper to buy them at the supermarket.........hatchery fish fight like they're on ice anyway.....
    Wouldn't you rather fight a fish without fear, and more game than you brought?
    Yesterday, on the T, we had a fish on that wouldn't come to hand.........read as huge/smart......and satisfying....
    I say, "the harder the fish/fishing, the better you'll get."

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-10-2014 at 03:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    This morning on the Bob Simms Outdoor Show (ch. 1530) they were talking about how F&G just planted the Little Truckee and how good the fishing was. It's as if they were telling every fly guy in Sacramento where to go fish for the next few weeks.

I never thought about how small that little river really is because I never fished it much even when we lived up there. I remember there were several developed pull outs and parking areas along the road almost like they have at Putah Creek.
    Tony
    DF&W plants the LT upstream of hwy 89 only. Different crowd, different ball game. Putah Creek is a much better place to fish.

Ralph, perfect.....

I heard they were going to plant LCTs in Perazzo meadows and into cold stream section below Weber Lake.
    Restoration done?
    Could this be that?
    Last edited by bigfly; 05-10-2014 at 03:31 PM.

No, that is several years out. Actually they coulda put lcts in there for all I know, but this isn't the project you and I were talking about at fishmas eve. That said the lt in perazzo looked great today.