Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your Opinion on Drift Boats (because the internet doesn't have enough opinions)

Let me know if you want to want to row a WF here in the Sac area. We can hit the American and chase some stripers at the same time.

FWIW: As a guide in Nor. Cal and Idaho I have had the RO Guide and DeVille, as well as a WF Clacka, and currently a Eddy, they all have their benefits: RO great construction and much lighter than Clackas but the price for that is thinner glass, not as solid. The WF a very safe boat, but the Eddy....Handles better, the wider back end means the boat is not as affected by heavier guys in the back.
    Holds water better and ease of rowing than all three.
    On the rivers you focus on, and with your experience in rowing, a Eddy would suit your needs. I got mine with the Yeti 65 cooler as front seat and that is the best thing I have ever done for a boat. It frees up the rower space and keeps the boat balanced. Worth every penny. Their are more benefits to the CLackas as well,; longer rod holders as well as dual on each side though the RO Nomad is bridging the gap. I will say, the Deville is too low, more of a skiff than a drift boat....

I'm looking at the Clacka fly fishing bench myself. Trying to find someone with one so I can paddle it before I buy. If anyone knows someone that has one, please let me know.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

I have the 16' LP, nice boat, predictable, and safe. If you're using the boat to fish out of, most of the floats on the rivers you mentioned I'd put a premium on the way it back rows, holds etc which would lead me to the Eddy.

Thanks, everyone. Very helpful. I am all too familiar with the problem of fishing less once you become the guy with the boat. That said, I am moving to the Redding area and hope to be fishing with proficient rowers more often. I am also training up my wife on the sticks, so that will help.

The more I think about it, the more I want the Eddy, and, after talking to the Clacka guys, the Yeti from seat is the way to go. (Now you can have cooler mounts and a removable front pedestal seat. Pretty cool. I think I might be able to solve the safety issue by keeping my pontoon for sketchy coastal rivers/new beats. I might be in touch with those of you who offered to let me row your boats. (I really appreciate it.)

Thanks!

if you call clacka and buy new, talk to josiah if you can. those guys are not paid on commission, but he has been great in all my transactions!

Word to the Wise: The Yeti 45 they offer as "standard" is way too small for a day on the river and three guys. They amount of insulation they have reduces how much they can carry significantly. Do yourself a favor and get the 65. I took their advise, got the 45, and was way too small, bought the 65 a month later....