Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuller Lake

Default Fuller Lake

Nice afternoon of float tubing at Fuller last weekend.

Was on the water at 10am and the bite was steady until a little after 2pm. The wind kicked up around 11:45am but that only seemed to stimulate the bite even more!

I picked up fish all over the lake but did particularly well near the canal inlet. The dam area could have been good but there were so many bankies encircling it that I decided it was best to leave that area to them.

All the fish were reliably 15" and all rainbows. Only one other float tuber out there that day, a few guys in kayaks and a bunch of guys crowded into a small aluminum boat. Several dozen people along the bank.

Fuller is nice little lake to get started with float tubing or to take out a person who has never done it. The action was very consistent so you'll get a lot of practice in hooking fish - which is a little different in a lake versus a stream. If you miss a few hook-sets then it's no big deal because you'll get another bite in a few minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by loose_shoes View Post
    Nice afternoon of float tubing at Fuller last weekend.

Was on the water at 10am and the bite was steady until a little after 2pm. The wind kicked up around 11:45am but that only seemed to stimulate the bite even more!

I picked up fish all over the lake but did particularly well near the canal inlet. The dam area could have been good but there were so many bankies encircling it that I decided it was best to leave that area to them.

All the fish were reliably 15" and all rainbows. Only one other float tuber out there that day, a few guys in kayaks and a bunch of guys crowded into a small aluminum boat. Several dozen people along the bank.

Fuller is nice little lake to get started with float tubing or to take out a person who has never done it. The action was very consistent so you'll get a lot of practice in hooking fish - which is a little different in a lake versus a stream. If you miss a few hook-sets then it's no big deal because you'll get another bite in a few minutes.
    Wow, DFW was generous in the size they planted this year! Might have to head back some day soon.

_SHig

What did the snow pack look like at the higher elevations?
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Quote Originally Posted by wineslob View Post
    What did the snow pack look like at the higher elevations?
    Hmmmm…. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the snow pack on the surrounding peaks. My guess would be "not much". There was no snow at all around Fuller. It was completely dry. I didn't go past Fuller but I don't think you'd run into any snow for quite aways up the road.

I talked to some guys that had been to Bowman and the ridges(?) and they didn't say anything about the snow. They did say the road up there was rocky and rough. Never been there myself.

We fished Fuller last Friday and got the same fish in the same area. It actually got boring after awhile, so we did some casting with dries and midges. Dried didn't work, midges did. Actually our fish didn't average 15", closer to 12" but still a really fun afternoon. We got 15-20 each, missed or lost 3x that many. All rainbows, no brownies this time. We started about the time you stopped, and we heard the earlier bite was better. At dusk the midge fishing was great though.

I've never done well over by the dam. Is that a good area to work?
    Last edited by JAWallace; 05-06-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalCenters View Post
    I've never done well over by the dam. Is that a good area to work?
    Having fished Fuller a ton of times, I can say that the whole lake is great, of course the lake is small. But I always catch fish at the dam, I have had a few days when you didn't even need to leave the dam because of all the fish.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Having fished Fuller a ton of times, I can say that the whole lake is great, of course the lake is small. But I always catch fish at the dam, I have had a few days when you didn't even need to leave the dam because of all the fish.
    Yep, the dam area would have been good. However, there were so many people all around it that to maintain a "respectful distance" outside of their casting range would have left me about 3 square feet to work with. Meh…

No big deal, I had access to the entire lake. If there hadn't been so many people there then I'm sure I would have parked myself there for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by LocalCenters View Post
    Actually our fish didn't average 15", closer to 12"...
    Really? Every fish I put in the MeasureNet added up to 15" A few were in the 12"-13" range and I think one might have gone to 16". All the others that I didn't net appeared to be about the same as the ones that actually measured out to 15".

As always… YMMV.

It's been a couple of years since I fished it, but from the shore I saw some really nice (15"+) on the opposite side working the fallen trees.
    "For years, every time he stopped at the house to collect his paper money, it was the same routine. The old man in the wheelchair would ask him how he'd like it if he took him fishing and showed him a few things. He always said he'd like that.
    When the old man finally passed away, his wife gave the kid a box of flies. He has them today, tucked away in a closet, never to be fished."

Walt C.<---------------------------- not me, though I wish I had written it.

Are you measuring from the fork in the tail or the tips?