Thread: Truckee Day

Default Truckee Day

Fished the Big T thursday took it easy in the morning and was on the water by 1030. Gorgeous weather high of 70 and sunny. Tight lined nymphed all day using the Rio Euro nymph line with sage ESN 10ft 4wt sighter and straight 4x. Got to say this set up was a joy to fish love the dedicated euro line. Its makes leader set up and tight lining more enjoyable. There were some March browns fluttering about from time to time but no surface activity. Fished a favorite run and only got one small bow and three white fish. Go figure found a white fish honey hole. There wasn't enough water flow in this area so i headed down river. River had more flow in this spot last year in August. Headed down and went by another spot i have had good luck at and there was a group of guys there so i headed down stream. Seen some good pocket water that i have never hit so i gave that a try. Worked a 100ft section of pocket water high sticking and got 5 nice fat rainbows. All the fish came on sz 18 slim black baetis. I tried about 5 different patterns for the second fly but no takers. Also 4 out of the 5 came when at the end of the drift. I like to let my flies swing up at the end of the drift to induce a take. Basically a Leisenring Lift. If it isn't something you do i would highly recommend it. 4 out of 5 fish agreed that day. Absolutely love the strong tug they give when smashing a fleeing bug. Headed home 230 the river looked gorgeous but its not going to last with the drought.
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Good job Dan.....a perfect report.
    It is nice right now......

Jim

Hey Dan -

Rio sent me their Euro DT-2,3,4,5-F Nymph Line to try, and I recently fished the Line on my Sage ESN 11ft 3wt Rod. After tight line nymph fishing for a day on the Truckee with this outfit, utilizing Doug Ouellette's leader system and fly patterns, I was so very impressed. The Line's dynamincs are ideal, and the Rod's taper and 11ft length are ideal.

As an aside, I had a productive day and the Rod definitely has the backbone to land good fish.

Thank you for sharing!

Bob

Thanks Jim I definitly love reading your reports. Bob I am curious what is Dougs leader system i know him and Matt have some good tight line clinics but have never made it to one. Does he use a heavy point fly or a drop shot method with spit shot? Also the Rio Euro line that i am referring to was made for blue quill angler as far as i know they are thr only ones that carry it. Basically really close to the 00 wt Rio LT
    Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. ~Henry David Thoreau

Dan -

You can find Doug's leader at his Truckee River Fly Fishing web site, under the "Flies" heading.

Rio Products staff and Blue Quill Angler's Steve Parrott developed the Euro Nymph Line...I have had the pleasure of communicating with BQA's Steve Parrott concerning applicable leaders for the Line.

It appears that we are both using the same model Rio Euro Nymph Line.

Good Fishing!

Bob

Bob & Dan,
    Our next clinic will be on June 14th, we would love to have you. Please give me a ring if you would like to attend. (775) 722-2267
    Here is a link to my web site.
    Thanks
    www.truckeeriverflyfishing.com
    Last edited by Doug O; 05-11-2014 at 12:32 PM.