Thread: Sunrise / Sunset

Smile Sunrise / Sunset

Early mornings for me are a special time of day that I've always relished. Whether it was before daybreak on a deer stand or the bow of a boat heading to the Farallons that first glow of light in the sky is something magical. This morning I left the house a little before 5:00 and the sky was just starting to turn a pinkish purple over the Sierras. By the time I got to Sutter and stopped for gas the Buttes were a solid black silhouette against the pink. Things were quiet and peaceful as the day got going and I just knew this was going to be another good day.

When I got to the ramp things changed. Boats were racing off in the dark barely able to see. They had just re-installed the dock and several boats were moored waiting for their owners to park their trucks. Everything seemed a bit hustle bustle but I got in line to launch and finally got underway and away from all the noise and back to my solitude of early morning.

Now don't get me wrong, I like sunsets too. Thousands of people flock to watch sunsets everywhere. The pier at Mallory Square in Key West or the sea wall at the Kona Inn in Kailua (two of my favorite places) are packed with people everyday watching the sun drop. But for me, it's the quiet morning and the anticipation of a striper's grab that really get me going.

It didn't take long before my first grab took off. As I made a first pass along the wall I quickly hooked up to a nice schoolie. Another fifty yards and I've got a second good grab and number two comes to the boat. Another boat watches me and comes right in to where I was drifting. A husband and wife bouncing minnows. I moved around them and followed behind right in their path. It wasn't long before I hook up again and in plane sight behind the minnow boat, I bring my third striper to the boat. Looking at my watch it just turns 6:00AM. Three nice fish aboard by 6:00AM.

We both move our boats upstream again to make another pass and again I follow behind them. A few minutes downstream and I get another grab. This one takes me on the reel and I move away from the wall so as to better fight fish number four. Again the one-handed net thing and a nice ten pounder comes aboard. Right in front of my minnow bouncing friends .

Enough of this wall, give it a rest and I move a mile or so downstream. Just below the Wilkins Slough there is another long wall with a shelf that comes out quite a ways before dropping deep. I make a few casts shallow and get a violent grab that strips line through my hands. Wow! This is strong and won't even budge when I lean right or left as she takes off. I thought for a moment I may have hooked a salmon the way she acted. Soon though she took off for deeper water in the center of the river and I knew I had another good striper. I had to play her differently and longer before getting her to come to the boat. Once at the boat I grabbed the Boga so as to not harm her with the net and got her in for a couple of quick pictures. Seventeen pounds! Try holding that at arm's length one handed and taking a picture with the other hand Whewwww.

Back in the water with a quick revival and off she goes. I need a rest and some more coffee.

I move on down picking up several more fish all four to eight pounds. What a really great morning this has been. Most of the other boats have all gone somewhere else and I seem to have the river to myself, and it's barely 9:00. Making the turn below the mud flats there is an area full of snags and turtles sunning themselves.

I'm amazed at how clear the water is here and am glad I'm using one of my more realistic patterns. Here's one of my well chewed favorites lately. The eye-balls seem to really help when the fish can see. A few week ago bigger gaudy clousers with dumbbells were the rule.

Most fish were males still spilling milt, the water temp has come up to 64 degrees, and it's time to get out there if you haven't already. And I've got plenty of Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays open if anyone wants to get out there and watch the sun rise over the Sutter Buttes with me.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

Great report Tony!

Watching the sun come up on the river is my favorite time too. Unfortunately, no matter how early I try to get up, I can never seem to get all the way down to that part of the river before 6:00 am.....Live just too far away I guess.

Curious about your current set-up: Is that an un-weighted fly you are using? and what is your go-to line these days? Thanks!

Matt,
    You've got a lot of great water up your way too. Tonyu
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180