Thread: Striper Guide Recommendation

Default Striper Guide Recommendation

Hello, folks. A little background. I'd like to take my 75 year old father striper fishing. He is not immobile, nor in a wheelchair, but he doesn't get around great. His enthusiasm is super high, though, and he'd like to go striper fishing. He is not a fly fisherman. Regular gear would be better for him. If I could fly fish and he could gear fish, that would be outstanding. Can anyone recommend a guide that might be able to accommodate a trip like this? It would be best if my dad could primarily sit during the trip..... Thanks for any input you have.

99% of gear guides use methods that would make it really hard to fly fish while you gear fish. none the less, im sure you can find someone to accommodate you.

Sent you PM with a name of someone that is very good at accommodating both methodologies. I know first hand.

Tony M,

I'm sympathetic to your situation and completely understand wanting to share more time with you dad. I have several friends that I have lately had to turn down taking any more because of the danger they can incur to them selves and others in the boat.

First off your dad using "gear" would probably be okay if he was sitting down dunking bait in an anchored position. But he would not be okay if he were standing in a moving or drifting boat casting swim bait or rubber worms. I don't think this could be done effectively or productively sitting down.

You on the other hand want to fly fish and this means a moving boat casting accurately toward a rocky bank often dealing with snagged flies and broken leaders.

These are two completely opposite kinds of fishing. I'd recommend sharing the day with your dad and get some sardines and drop anchor somewhere and forget fly fishing for a day. Your dad wants to spend a day doing something with his son, not necessarily catching a fish.

One option though might be to contact Big John's Guide Service up here and he's been bouncing minnows and or trolling lures. Both of which are done in a seated chair on a nice open boat.

I think it's great to spend as much time with your dad as time goes fast the older you get.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

In the Yuba City area my brother Mike is a part time guide who could provide what you are looking for. The most productive way is for your dad to drift minnows while you throw a fly. He does not normally guide fly trips but does understand what you will need (from me being in his boat).

Mike Siler
    "Watch This" Guide Service
    Yuba City
    (530) 692-6294

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Buzolich View Post
    Tony M,

I'm sympathetic to your situation and completely understand wanting to share more time with you dad. I have several friends that I have lately had to turn down taking any more because of the danger they can incur to them selves and others in the boat.

First off your dad using "gear" would probably be okay if he was sitting down dunking bait in an anchored position. But he would not be okay if he were standing in a moving or drifting boat casting swim bait or rubber worms. I don't think this could be done effectively or productively sitting down.

You on the other hand want to fly fish and this means a moving boat casting accurately toward a rocky bank often dealing with snagged flies and broken leaders.

These are two completely opposite kinds of fishing. I'd recommend sharing the day with your dad and get some sardines and drop anchor somewhere and forget fly fishing for a day. Your dad wants to spend a day doing something with his son, not necessarily catching a fish.

One option though might be to contact Big John's Guide Service up here and he's been bouncing minnows and or trolling lures. Both of which are done in a seated chair on a nice open boat.

I think it's great to spend as much time with your dad as time goes fast the older you get.
    Tony
    Very classy and thoughtful response.

Call Bob Spar

HTML Code:
    Call Bob Spar
    Hope he's not anything like Bob Sparre...