Thread: My Christmas Island report

Default My Christmas Island report

Although it has been a couple weeks since I returned, I am still reveling in my wonderful first time experience at CI. I went there with a certain amount of apprehension since I have never fished on flats before. I had also never caught a bonefish. Well, I certainly did fish lots and lots of flats and caught lots of bonefish. What powerful swimmers!

My first day was pretty much casting where the guide told me to. I could see the fish when they were headed at me or headed away, but when they turned sideways... they disappeared. By the end of the day, I was able to spot, successfully cast to, and catch a couple bones on my own.

The wind is almost always there. The 20 mph winds were a bit difficult at times, but one gets used to using the rod tip to do the casting, which is usually less than 30 feet. I eliminated false casting as much as possible. This helps in keeping the hands-of-the-wind somewhat under control. One morning there was very small winds; fish seemed spooky at those times. I ended up preferring times when the wind was 10-12 mph. The fish seemed not as spooky. Sometimes bones would swim to within a few feet of me... crazy.

We did get rained on a few times. One day, I was on a flat that was in direct alignment with the rain clouds. That was frustrating, but eventually the sun came out and all was right with the world.

For the week, I did pretty good with the bones. I caught one triggerfish (Picasso), a golden trevally, a barred trevally, bluefin trevally, giant trevally, goatfish, yellow snappers and a yellowfin tuna (when we fished the blue water).

This trip was a retirement gift from my wife. It was the most fun I have had on any trip. Guides, fellow fishermen, and lodge staff were all wonderful. This island, it's people, the bird life are all beautifully fantastic. It was an honor to have fished Christmas Island. I am definitely going back (birthday gift?).

John

Awesome, post some pictures. That is great you got a golden, they are very tough to catch. Mems
    Don Memmer

Here are a few pictures from my trip. I had water on my lens that distorted the golden trevally picture, so I turned a lemon into a grapefruit...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	290 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	8932   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	277 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	8933   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	283 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	8934   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	269 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	8935   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	295 
Size:	90.7 KB 
ID:	8936  

Thanks John

I love your take on Christmas Island.

It is one of the top trips of my life time.

Wading for Bonefish is one of the finest things you can do with a fly rod.

I went there 13 times.......

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How does the Bonefishing compare with the Abacos or Andros?
    I have had X-mas Island Bonefishing compared with the Turks & Caicos. Are they similar other than expansive white sand flats?

I have also been told to make sure that I go with an x-mas island lodge that will take me out by boat everyday? Thoughts?

Lastly, how easy is it to get shots at the "non-great" Trevallies such a blue(fin) etc.

Thanks

Thanks

John,
    Great report and good on you. Always nice to see an old timer having fun. LOL!
    Look forward to see your next adventure.
    Best,
    Larry S

Tony, Christmas Island is a great destination for those who want to spend a lot of time fishing. There are lots of variety of fish, more than in the bahamas. You get shots at all kinds of trevally. Just move the fly faster. For the big GT's have a 12wt rod ready. You will see larger schools of bones in the bahamas, but it is more fun to stalk the bones than to cast into a large mud, school feeding. Both are great locations for bonefish. CI has ulua, GT's and that makes all the difference, plus offshore like ahi and ono. Hope this helps, Don.
    Don Memmer

Thanks. I look forward to getting down there

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	150 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	8983Tony, I had lots of other shots at many different Trevallys. I caught bluefin Ts most days. The smaller ones hit my bonefish flies.
    CI is a great experience.

John