Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: Jeff's 2014 AR Shad Update

Fished the upper river after work got a big hen and a bigger sucker. Lots of people fishing and not many caught except for Earl who got 5 nymphing. Ran into Smittyfish in the parking lot and he got one swinging above me.

Experience has showed me that in these low water conditions the shad will act a bit more like trout. I find them in faster skinnier water, so floating lines with fast or super fast poly-leaders with nymphs could be the ticket. This could also be the reason why the nymphers are catching more fish. my.02.

It looks like the American is going to be real tough this year. If you can get in a boat get to the Sac.
    Had my best day in a couple of years the other day. Landed 91 and quit by 4:00 and they were still biting like mad.
    It is not easy to get in the best location unless you get there early but it pays off if you do. Good Luck

Tight Lines

With the low flows on the other rivers maybe 90% will just go up the Sacramento River to spawn?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

91 in one day?
    That's an epic shad day for sure! I had half that one day two years ago and was wiped out. Couldn't imagine 91!

8 this evening with as many missed grabs. Earl got a couple and a SH. Smittyfish got 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Matt View Post
    91 in one day?
    That's an epic shad day for sure! I had half that one day two years ago and was wiped out. Couldn't imagine 91!
    Yeah, My back was hurting pretty good but it was worth it.

Flow is going up to 1750 cfs on the AR overnight! It could bring more fresh fish in and move them upriver.

Was on my kayak today. Hooked the first four on nymphs.... And each time broke off and took my nymph. Only had a 5x leader.... Apparently too little for my shad skills on the fly. My knots most likely could use some work... switched to grubs to land some. Lotta crap in the water.
    Fish are running with the flows. We had a great morning bite and water went up, clouded, filled with weeds, fish moved.

Whoa! 1750 cfs! The last time I was there, May 3, the flow was what? Maybe 400 cfs? As I'm new to all of this I cannot imagine safely wading into a current that strong. Or does one NOT wade into such current? How long will it remain at 1750 cfs?
    I've not been able to make the trip as gas prices are ridiculous and my funding is low. I'm going to really hate to miss the AR moving that fast. Sigh...