Thread: General rod and reel opinions

Default General rod and reel opinions

I currently have a TFO pro II 2 6wt paired with an Orvis mid-arbor Access. I am looking to get another reel and 4wt rod....at least until this winter. Any suggestions or recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum2 View Post
    I currently have a TFO pro II 2 6wt paired with an Orvis mid-arbor Access. I am looking to get another reel and 4wt rod....at least until this winter. Any suggestions or recommendations?
    What is your budget? I just picked up an 8'6" TFO BVK on sale for $160 and an Orvis click/pawl Battenkill for $80 with a coupon. Super nice casting rod and really light combo with the simple 3 oz reel.

Of course you could also get a Hardy Zenith and a Galvan for a few extra bucks...

_SHig

Yeah, budget is the first factor for recommendations.

I have a 6 weight BVK, it's a pretty decent rod, but I'd drop it for a Sage One or a Winston Biiix in a heartbeat if I could afford to.

The BVK is a fairly fast rod. My initial thought if you're thinking 4 weight is you must be thinking smaller trout rivers and streams, and I'd recommend a slower rod, honestly. Something you'll easily feel load.

Inexpensive rod - Redington Classic Trout 8 1/2' 4 weight. Excellent stick for the money.
    Got some cash? Scott G2, Winston BiiT, or even the new Orvis Superfine Glass.

It's not too late to score a closeout Hardy Zenith on ebay. Normally I insist on doing business with my local fly shop, oddly enough, that's Kiene's, but saving that much money . . . well.

Call Jim Clarkson at Raptor Rod in Chico. You can get a rod built to do exactly what you want built to your specs for around 200 bucks. He has several graphite series that are quite nice. His finishing is beyond compare. And the local guy that hands the finshed rod to you is the local guy that built it. And if you have any issues you can take the rod back to the guy that built it. You can't beat that.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

You can not beat the TFO warranty. Plus they are great rods for the price. I only have 2 rods that are not TFO, 1 was custom built for me and the other is a Sage largemouth rod. But the rest of my arsenal are all TFO's.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Default Echo rod

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    You can not beat the TFO warranty. Plus they are great rods for the price. I only have 2 rods that are not TFO, 1 was custom built for me and the other is a Sage largemouth rod. But the rest of my arsenal are all TFO's.
    Just picked up a very nice and most affordable ($120 ) Echo Solo 8'6" 4w that I've paired up w my first reel, an older model Galvin using the same weight forward #5 line used for my 5w. purchased the rod over the phone with the guys at Kienne's and it arrived UPS in a cupala days.

Wanting a smaller weight rod for fishing the N Fork Yuba and couldn't be happier with the medium fast action that with my back against brush roll casted 20' and mended a weighted double rigged nymph set up just fine and formed some very tight loops presenting a tandem dry fly as well.

I am very impressed with Echo rods. I have a sweet 12'6" 6w spey rod as well ($240!) that launches a skagit system set up on a 10w reel just fine. Got me wondering why I've been spending $700 on Sage rods all these years…

Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Yeah, budget is the first factor for recommendations.

I have a 6 weight BVK, it's a pretty decent rod, but I'd drop it for a Sage One or a Winston Biiix in a heartbeat if I could afford to.

The BVK is a fairly fast rod. My initial thought if you're thinking 4 weight is you must be thinking smaller trout rivers and streams, and I'd recommend a slower rod, honestly. Something you'll easily feel load.

Inexpensive rod - Redington Classic Trout 8 1/2' 4 weight. Excellent stick for the money.
    Got some cash? Scott G2, Winston BiiT, or even the new Orvis Superfine Glass.

Agree withrecommendations re: CT cheap; G2, B2T,expensive

But I do NOT agree that the BVK is "fairly fast" - especially in the lower wts (3, 4WT); it is a noodle - I wouldn't advise BVK or the Orvis superfine Glass as both are really slow - perhaps as a specialty case for certain tapers and small dries they would be choice but not all around; I would recommend the Orvis superfine (not the glass one, the one aka "trout bum"). No more than 8.5 ft for the 4 wt, also. Try out the different lengths. It matters.

beachbum,
    Let me suggest that you consider the Kiene/Grizzly Hackle/FishWest line of GH Heron rods. Don't think they're listed
    in the online shop, so you'll have to call or visit the shop. I have the 7wt-9ft model ($160) and have used it both
    on a lake and in the surf. Not a Sage, Orvis, or Winston but a very good rod for the price. Even comes with a tube and
    spare tip. I still want to try it in the Trinity, etc.
    Best,
    Larry S

Agree on the Redington Classic Trout. I have a 386 and LOVE that rod. Casts 2 or 3 wt. line like a dream and you can cast fairly heavy stuff too in calm conditions. It has enough backbone for a decent trout. That is not a rod to over line except for sinking lines--underlining or actual weight is good.

I have two TFO rods, had three. The one I sold was the Pro 510 and I hated it. Dead stick. I have a BVK 890 and love that fast rod for stripers. Probably my favorite heavier rod for throwing poppers and rabbit strip to bass or weighted buggers to trout is the TFO Lefty Kreh Signature--it's an IM6 cheapie but the 690 rocks. It's a mid flex rod that will easily handle most fish to 5 lbs. or so. I would suggest you try those out in a 4 wt and see what you think. They run about $120. Kiene has some Tempts which is the same blank as the Classic Trout for about $115. Either might work for you if you don't need something fast. Between the two, definitely the Classic Trout/Tempt.
    Last edited by JAWallace; 05-27-2014 at 09:06 PM.