Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice Fly Tying Classes with top instructor Tim Au-young

John,

What a man! Thank you. With me providing all materials for classroom tying, that leaves the student on their own with assistance from Kiene's to obtain their equipment, including the vise. Your donation of the great Thompson Modal A is traditional, classic and in it's day, what started fly tiers well on their way. Many students come in with one, and by the end of the class figure out if they like fly tying. At that time or before, they purchase a vise of their choosing based upon Kiene suggestions. Thank you very much and know that you will be giving someone a chance to get started tying, ......fly tying - the angler's art. What vise are you tying with now? I like the Regal. Tim

ok, will get them down there...

Sounds like I have a friend that will drop them at Kiene's this weekend...

John,
    Howdy. With all of my classes, the students need to provide their own fly tying equipment. Generally, these people are serious and if they already do have a vise, or, they purchase one either here or provide their own. There are times where a real newbie does not wish to purchase a vise right at the git go, so your kind donation of a Thompson Modal A vise would be very much appreciated. Back in the day, that was all there was. Please contact me at the store or leave a message if I am not available and I will return your call. Thank you very much as this will come in handy for people in the future. Funny thing, my earlier post did not appear, sorry. Tim

John,

Howdy. Thank you very much. I do not work on the week-end, so if you have your buddy leave them, just have him mention they are for me and my colleagues will set them back in my work area. Thanks a lot. Now go tie one on! Tim

Quote Originally Posted by John Sv View Post
    Tim,
    Do you/your students need vises? I have an early 90's thompson model A, an early 70's dh thompson (black 1 piece with the big red knob), and a no-name vise of pretty good quality that I have been using for the past 15 years. will donate to get people tying.
    John
    John,

Howdy! I arrived back to work this week on Monday, and lo and behold, what did I have in front of me? Thank you verrrrry much for your kind donations of the vises, and know that for the future, there will be people who will benefit from your kind donation to expand fly tying at Kiene's Fly Shop. When I first started tying years ago, I watched a TV show and what a hoot, Dave Engerbretson (sp) and Leroy, who did the tying. I remember them saying, "Fly Tying, the Angler's Art.....", or was that the name of the show? Thanks again for sharing.

JB - Howdy! Please contact me at the shop as I have set a date for Nov. 13, 2014, Thursday evening, 6:30-9:30 PM, for the Introduction to deer hair spinning - top water poppers class. There are others interested and the class maximum is 6 students. Thanks a lot! Hope to hear from you soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I also took a beginning class from Tim two years ago (or was it 3?), and got a lot of good stuff from it. Only wish that I had payed a bit more attention to the "materials" side of his instruction, as I was so focused at that time in needing to learn the "technique". At the time I was so eager to develop tying techniques that I didn't fully grasp the importance, nor the depth of material choices and performances. This would give any new tier a really solid grasp on things to tie a lot of productive patterns, and the foundation to continue to develop into more and more challenging stuff.

Tim, I see you are thinking about a deer hair/muddler class. I would be very interested if that solidifies. Please keep us updated for any future classes in the more intermediate/advanced realm
    JB

No worries; I hope some people get "hooked" on fly tying

Jason,

Howdy. I have to apologize as I lost your contact info. I hope all is well and that you have been able to do some fishing. This Thursday is the Introduction to Deer Hair Spinning/Muddler Minnow Class. The class has room for 1, maybe 2 people. If you are interested, please call me at the shop;am not there today, Monday, Nov. 10, but will be there the rest of the week. The class has a full cast of characters and it will be fun, a one night special. Thanks, Tim

Tim
    I'll give you a ring at the shop tomorrow.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown