Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Novice Fly Tying Classes with top instructor Tim Au-young

Default Novice Fly Tying Classes with top instructor Tim Au-young

Hello everyone. Fly tying instructor Tim Au-young here.

Thank you all for being patient as this week-end was the annual Kiene's EXPO that I over saw, and I think we had over 300 people attend.

Anyway, here are the details for for our next set of classes now.

who :You
    what :Novice Fly Tying
    where : Kiene's Fly Shop, 2752 Marconi Avenue, Sacramento
    when : April 16, 23, 30, 3 Wendesdays, 6:30 PM -9 PM
    why : Learn basics for advancement

Notes:

1. You will be in need of providing your own equipment. Equipment I suggest you have:
    a. Fly tying vise
    b. Scissors
    c. Bobbin to hold thread
    d. 2 spools of thread, one 6/0 black, one 6/0 brown/camel

2. All materials for fly tying in class will be provided

3. There will be homework! The fly pattern that we learn will be your homework. You will be responsible for tying 12 flies to be distributed to your peers the following week. You turn the flies in to me, I will divide out the flies and distribute them, as you DO NOT RECEIVE any of your flies back, so in essence, it is a fly tyer's exchange.

4. In speaking with the Management of the store, Kiene's will give you a 10% discount on any and all fly tying materials or equipment during the course of the class.

5. At the first meeting, we will have the first half of the class with questions and answers, then the last half of the class will be the actual fly tying. We will tie a Woolly Bugger, the basic steamer pattern that is known throughout the world as one of the most popular patterns used to catch a great majority of fish, different in nature. Here is the schedule of what we will be doing:

April 16 - Q & A, tying a Woolly Bugger

April 23 - Nymphs, a Pheasant Tail Nymph, and a Hare's Ear Nymph (to introduce dubbing)

April 30 - Dry flies, a Parachute Adams, and Elk Hair Caddis

I will guarantee private time, with a wonderful and relaxed learning experience.

Please feel free to call me at the store or e-mail.

My work schedule at the store: - Monday-Friday, 10 AM to 6 PM,

Store phone = 916.486.9958 local

My store email = shipping@kiene.com

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I took 3, 3-class series from Tim in June, July and August. FABULOUS instructor with lots of knowledge, patience and wisdom. I had taken some classes before and I was just shown HOW to tie a particular pattern, didn't really learn the necessary techniques to continue on with other patterns. Learning from Tim is a real joy as he has the patience and wisdom for some personal time (if needed) and he is mostly available for questions outside of class. If you can arrange the time...by all means take a class or 2 or 3 from Tim. You will not be disappointed.

Hi all. This is the Saturday before Oct. 6, 2014, and I am setting up this Novice Fly Tying cCass. If you or any else you know always wanted to learn the fundamentals of fly tying, this is your chance. If this class does not work for you in the light of the timing, please contact Tim for future classes. Tim instructs other one night themes and is always open for more comments to set up new classes. He has a deer hair/muddler deer hair class and soft hackle class in the near plans. Other Novice and Beyond the Basics Classes are also being planned, so contact him at the store during the week, or call him on his personal cell - 916.479.1049

Quote Originally Posted by beachbum2 View Post
    I took 3, 3-class series from Tim in June, July and August. FABULOUS instructor with lots of knowledge, patience and wisdom. I had taken some classes before and I was just shown HOW to tie a particular pattern, didn't really learn the necessary techniques to continue on with other patterns. Learning from Tim is a real joy as he has the patience and wisdom for some personal time (if needed) and he is mostly available for questions outside of class. If you can arrange the time...by all means take a class or 2 or 3 from Tim. You will not be disappointed.

Beachbum - whoever you are, there will be more Benjamin's in the mail to you soon.......HAHA!!! See you and 'you know who' soon. Thanks

I also took a beginning class from Tim two years ago (or was it 3?), and got a lot of good stuff from it. Only wish that I had payed a bit more attention to the "materials" side of his instruction, as I was so focused at that time in needing to learn the "technique". At the time I was so eager to develop tying techniques that I didn't fully grasp the importance, nor the depth of material choices and performances. This would give any new tier a really solid grasp on things to tie a lot of productive patterns, and the foundation to continue to develop into more and more challenging stuff.

Tim, I see you are thinking about a deer hair/muddler class. I would be very interested if that solidifies. Please keep us updated for any future classes in the more intermediate/advanced realm
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Default Fly Tying

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    I also took a beginning class from Tim two years ago (or was it 3?), and got a lot of good stuff from it. Only wish that I had payed a bit more attention to the "materials" side of his instruction, as I was so focused at that time in needing to learn the "technique". At the time I was so eager to develop tying techniques that I didn't fully grasp the importance, nor the depth of material choices and performances. This would give any new tier a really solid grasp on things to tie a lot of productive patterns, and the foundation to continue to develop into more and more challenging stuff.

Tim, I see you are thinking about a deer hair/muddler class. I would be very interested if that solidifies. Please keep us updated for any future classes in the more intermediate/advanced realm
    JB

JB - Thanks for the post. You were one of the best in the tying class, and due to your knowledge of fly fishing before the class, you were able to get up to speed quickly. A Novice Class has many goals, and speaking about the quality of materials is difficult due to the importance of making sure "techniques" gets prime effort. A class merely on quality of materials is a class all in itself, but having that class is like having "safety", "etiquette", or "conservation" as a topic for a monthly fly fishing club topic;it is just not that exciting, but very important. Your comment makes me concerned in the fact that what I do cover as far as quality of materials is not enough, even though the time I spent may, or may not, have been enough for someone with your back ground. You bring up many points that will assist me in my curriculum for future classes like the Novice Class that starts tonight. Thanks. And yes, I will keep you on the list of interested people for the "introduction to deer hair/muddler minnow class, and other classes as well. Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
    JB - Thanks for the post. You were one of the best in the tying class, and due to your knowledge of fly fishing before the class, you were able to get up to speed quickly. A Novice Class has many goals, and speaking about the quality of materials is difficult due to the importance of making sure "techniques" gets prime effort. A class merely on quality of materials is a class all in itself, but having that class is like having "safety", "etiquette", or "conservation" as a topic for a monthly fly fishing club topic;it is just not that exciting, but very important. Your comment makes me concerned in the fact that what I do cover as far as quality of materials is not enough, even though the time I spent may, or may not, have been enough for someone with your back ground. You bring up many points that will assist me in my curriculum for future classes like the Novice Class that starts tonight. Thanks. And yes, I will keep you on the list of interested people for the "introduction to deer hair/muddler minnow class, and other classes as well. Tim
    Just to be clear Tim,
    I thought you did put in a fair bit of your instruction time to give a lot of valuable information about material types, behavior, quality, etc. My comment was more along the lines that I should have payed a bit sharper attention to that part of the class, asked a few more questions regarding materials, etc. At the time I sort of thought "yeah, yeah, ok, got it..." with more tying time, I now see how much more there was/is to learn there. As always the learning never stops, and neither does the enjoyment. I am currently mangling my muddlers.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Default fly tying

Quote Originally Posted by JasonB View Post
    Just to be clear Tim,
    I thought you did put in a fair bit of your instruction time to give a lot of valuable information about material types, behavior, quality, etc. My comment was more along the lines that I should have payed a bit sharper attention to that part of the class, asked a few more questions regarding materials, etc. At the time I sort of thought "yeah, yeah, ok, got it..." with more tying time, I now see how much more there was/is to learn there. As always the learning never stops, and neither does the enjoyment. I am currently mangling my muddlers.
    JB
    JB - Thanks for the clarification. People take time and resources to be in a class. A major concern I have is not giving enough of the correct information on whatever........ With so much information to share, as you shared, "the learning never stops". I have 4 people in the class that I just started yesterday night, and they are all soaking up everything I have to share. Your comments made me look at how and what I share, so thank you for keeping me honest. The deer hair/muddler class is in the works for dates, so stay tuned, and thanks for the interest in that class. Tim

Default Current fly tying class - Oct 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Tim A View Post
    JB - Thanks for the clarification. People take time and resources to be in a class. A major concern I have is not giving enough of the correct information on whatever........ With so much information to share, as you shared, "the learning never stops". I have 4 people in the class that I just started yesterday night, and they are all soaking up everything I have to share. Your comments made me look at how and what I share, so thank you for keeping me honest. The deer hair/muddler class is in the works for dates, so stay tuned, and thanks for the interest in that class. Tim
    Hi everyone. Next week will be the last installment of the Novice Fly Tying Class, and we will be tying dry flies, the Elk Hair Caddis and the Parachute Adams. Finishing off with dry flies after doing some nymphs and the woolley bugger, we will have decisions to make if y'all wish to continue. The next of 3 classes will be more dry flies, more nymphs, and more streamers or steelhead flies. We can chat next Monday. For those 4 guys in the class, keep up with your homework for next Monday.

For those of you who are reading this and wish to possibly join in on the next fly tying class, it would be at what I call "Beyond the Basics", a class our great friend, Bill Carnazzo, gave the title to. This class would be for people who have had a basic class and have had some fundamental lessons in the past, OR, who wish to brush up on old skills. Please contact me at the shop - thanks, Tim

Tim,
    Do you/your students need vises? I have an early 90's thompson model A, an early 70's dh thompson (black 1 piece with the big red knob), and a no-name vise of pretty good quality that I have been using for the past 15 years. will donate to get people tying.
    John