Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Low Profile Drift Boat vs. Skiff

Hi,
    You might consider a tandem inflatable kayak. The person in front can fish, but the person paddling in back can't fish. If you had two inflatable kayak then you can strap them together and float four people down, but the person guiding the strapped kayaks should have some river guiding skills. I have paddled upstream on the american river without any issues by myself in a tandem inflatable kayak.

I have fished out of lakes in my inflatable kayak but it would be better to a have a motorized skiff. This is the dilema.

At least if you have an inflatable kayak it folds up and can be stored in the garage.

I have an Aire Caracal-tadem that I use occasionally because I have a six and eight year old that want to go fishing. Space is limited so I have a 10' portabote with 3.5hp on a harbor freight trailor.

Good luck
    MarkZ

TS--you had asked about cost. I think you can get a pretty decent used 14' jon with a 15HP 4 stroke outboard and trailer for around $2500-$3000. You'll need a modified V hull for still water. Do NOT get a flat bottom jet sled hull and expect any comfort on still water with any chop. I had a beautiful Metalhead sled, total artwork and I loved looking at it, but HATED it on any kind of chop. Look for a deadrise of at least 3-5° which most of them have, and the modified V entry.

I once owned a conventional Klamath tin boat and even with 14' the pointed bow wastes a lot of space and isn't that stable. A mod V jon is highly space efficient and stable stem to stern. i have more room in my 12' that I had in the 14' tinnie with a sharp V entry. You'll need at least 14' with tin for stability, but a 12' glass cathedral hull skiff is fine and even more stable.

Jet or prop, your call. I like a prop for maneuverability when moving slowly, and in the D where a jet sucks weeds. On the river I just use shallow water drive and pick my way upstream carefully. Jets are better for rivers; props for still water or the Delta.

Look for a used rig like this: http://sacramento.craigslist.org/bod/4423206133.html
    Last edited by JAWallace; 04-16-2014 at 10:23 AM.

LocalCenters, how would such a boat handle in the rivers? For example, how stable would it be compared to a drift boat where you have a big flat bottom and casting braces? Then how would you go about managing a downstream drift without oars?

MarkZ, sounds like an interesting idea -- I'm just nervous about inflatables because of my bad trip with the pontoons.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Have you considered a square stern canoe?

I am currently considering one and rigging it with oars, paddles and an electric motor.

The canoe has a 42" beam and is 39" at the water line and 15' long it has 3 seats and holds up to 800lbs capacity.

I want it for taking my family to rivers and small lakes. I can car top it on either of our cars so we have our own shuttle service.

Places I intend to use it are: Fall river, Lower Sac below Churn Creek, Lower Stanislaus Knights to Orange B, Lake Del Valle, San Pablo Reservoir, Lewiston reservoir and a bunch of smaller lakes in the Sierras.

Now I already have a pontoon boat, a 10' pram and a 17 Whaler so I have other boats for other tasks, and I wanted to car top the boat. I felt that a Jon boat would not be as good on the river as the canoe. I considered a skiff but could not car top it. Same issue for a drift boat could not car top it. The canoe seemed pretty versatile and stable and you can have up to 3 people.

Just thought this might be an option you should consider also.

This smaller raft might be an option for you. Its only a two man but it looks easy to throw up on top of your car and can handle most of the rivers around here. I've been thinking of getting one instead of a drift boat so I don't have to put in at a ramp and I can access some smaller rivers. It looks well-made and stable enough to stand in (though if I get one, I'll probably add a lean bar). Leaks are always an issue, but unless you buy a roto-mold drift boat, its something you have to be wary of in fiberglass or aluminum as well. Just another option out there for you.
    Last edited by Reese; 04-23-2014 at 02:24 PM.

Hi,
    I originally bought the Aire Caracal for whitewater rafting down the American River(class III section). There are 5 chambers but three main chambers (left/right side and floor). I have put a hole on the right side chamber but it doesn't completely deflate. Both times I patched and was ready to go. I'm not worried about sinking the kayak if I puncture one side-just carry a patch kit.

Mark

Thanks everyone for your input. After some soul-searching as a family man (and getting "feedback" from the wife), I've decided to get a used 14-16 foot welded aluminum boat primarily for fishing Folsom lake with my family of four (when fly-fishing, I prefer wading to floating anyway). Does anyone feel strongly about any of these brands: Gregor, Valco, Klamath, Western, West Coaster, Alumaweld, Lowe, Lund?

Also, am I going to regret getting a used 10 HP 2-stroke or 4-stroke (which seems to be the most common pairings)?

It looks like there are suitable deals on Craigslist for <$4000.
    Last edited by Troutsource; 05-04-2014 at 01:31 PM.
    TroutSource.com
    we deliver the river

Hard to beat a Klamath!

Look for a hard chine. Klamath has always had them, but they are new to Gregor. The older Gregors have less stability because of the rounded chine. All the light V-entry tin boats are about the same, so the stability and bottom width are the key.

Try to get a 4 stroke. That's obvious, but no one really wants a smoker so they're hard to sell. The older light tinnys may have to be reinforced for a 4S--I know both Klamath and Gregor have specs for that. You should get at least 15 HP for more than 2 people. You'll hate less after a few plowing runs.

Hi,
    I bought a 3.5hp Tohastu 4-stroke directly from the manufacturing site in TN. They deliver direct up to 25hp, and the prices seems the best. I have not had any issues with the motor other than the gas cap leaks (bad gasket-I'm still investigating).

Mark