Thread: Bent out hooks on small soft hackles

Default Bent out hooks on small soft hackles

Does anyone have a tip on hook stronger than a TMC 3761 for soft hackles. Have also tried TMC 200Rs and they seem to bend out as well. Most fish have been landed with a 45 degree bend out, but others have been lost. I was thinking a tube fly might work. I tied one up and the back end was to bulky. I am thinking a cut off shank and a stinger hook with a gama octopus size 8 would work. Does anyone use a stinger on a small soft hackle?

Less pressure on the fish and let that reel sing. I also believe it depends on where the hook penetrates, in a nice meaty area or near a boney area. That's if the hook point was buried to the bend of the hook or just the point. There is a commercial tied fly ,Morejohns scorpion stinger. You could try to incorporate your tie like this?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	8826
    You could also try Umpquas competition hooks, they are pricey but well worth it. These are strong and have a much bigger gape for there size.
    Last edited by Mark Kranhold; 03-30-2014 at 09:52 PM.

R90's are strong heavy wire hooks with a big gap.

Check out the TMC 2499. We have our Nitro Caddis in size 12 tied on this hook an it seems to work pretty well.

The mustad R90s look good and they are cheap too. Only $4 for 25. 4X heavy wire!
    I have some 2499s and will try those as well. Thanks for the info.