Thread: Dumb Newbie Questions #396 and #397 - Pyramid Lake

Default Dumb Newbie Questions #396 and #397 - Pyramid Lake

#396. Is float tubing as legitimate a strategy as standing on the ladder?

#397. Do the fish sometimes cruise behind where you are standing on the ladder?

Hey Tony,

All questions are good ones. If they help you understand more then ask away.

There are very few anglers at Pyramid that are good at float tubing. The best days of fishing are windy days. The fish usually cruise into water that we can reach them from a ladder. It is very hard in a tube to stay still enough in the wind to cover the same water with a shooting head or even a floating line indicator rig. You simply don't cover the amount of water that a fisherman on a ladder does. That being said, there are some days in late spring that the fish are in deeper water and we can't get to them from a ladder. You will see more tubers in the fall and in May due to this reason. So there is some reasoning for having a float tube if you know when to use it. There is some danger in using a float tube as well on windy days. Pyramid can have 40-60 mph gusts of wind out of no where so be careful. As for the fish swimming in behind you it does happen sometimes in April. In that case it is good to mover your ladder back and try to get behind the cruising fish. That is a tough feat on a busy beach. If that is the case try to be the angler on one end or the other and move back. For more information go to www.pyramidlakeflyfishing.com

Bull Dog - is it too windy for an anchor on a float tube/pontoon. I can also use the oars to get back in against the wind.

Dangerous in a float tube. If you decide to do that (not advisable), at least have the common sense to wear a pfd. I don't want to read about you in the papers.

Many times/years I was the only guy on the water in a floaty.
    There was a reason..........I was the stupidest guy on the lake......and almost paid for it too.
    Pyramid, will eat you. Even with a motorized boat.
    If the wind is out of the East, and you are on the West shore, then maybe.
    But I've seen it swing west, in the time it takes for you to land a fish, and gust to 60mph...
    I know a guy who took the "three hour tour" across the lake, and almost froze to death. Keep a lighter in a baggie in case......
    You don't have to drown, just get wet.
    If you hear the "water babies" coming, you'll know your time has come.
    Wear a vest, and tie yourself to your bumper for best results. (I want a remote winch on my truck.)
    There may be no rowing back.......
    If fear is your friend, this is the place to boat/float.
    Access water from the ends of the ladder line-up, locals don't like you to cut through the line..........

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-29-2014 at 10:21 AM.

Yeah, if you're going to do it, tie a tether to a truck or something, too many people have drowned on that lake as it is, we don't need more. And yes, fish swim behind the ladders all the time
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

OK, you all talked me out of it. It was definitely a newbie question. Thank you for you comments.
    Last edited by Cmcculloch; 03-30-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Wasn't trying to talk you out of it.......
    Just wanted you to know.....
    When the fish are in close, like now, there is no need to float.
    But when it's slow, I'll go......
    Fear is my friend!

Jim