Thread: Rain/post-rain bug transition

Default Rain/post-rain bug transition

Curious. When we experience a drop in temp and rain like we currently are, is there a (historically/relatively)predictable change in hatches? In other words, if you were going fishing days just after a rain, could you make an educated guess on fly changes from the stable weather such as we've seen over the past couple of weeks. I recognize that this would vary from river to river, but looking for some insight from you keen entomologists.

Thanks!

Sean

w o r m s !
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Day before yesterday, in the rain, we found risers......several large ones.
    It was BWOs sz 20-22 and a perfect drift..
    Bugs and fish like atmospheric conditions.....not bright blue skies.....we humans like those....
    I suggest, get a jacket and go fish......in the rain. (Make it a good jacket....)
    To answer the question (maybe)...If it rains on snow, the water temp plummets more than 6-8 deg. Bad......until the temp rises again a bit. They like stable weather, what ever kind it is...change can put them off.....just like us.
    If it rains below snow level, not a big deal. In fact, it can be some of the best fishing there is....
    Dan's right about higher Spring flows adding to the menu. Annelids.....and other goodies.
    We were at 52 deg.(water) before this little blast, it has dropped to 46 and will fall some more tonight.
    Guessing bug changes....no Skwallas tomorrow, to chilly, but I'd bet on BWOs....

update morning trip
    3 grabs.......
    Did see a skwalla this pm.
    Little glossasoma caddis
    Baetis sz20.
    No risers
    Water temp plummettttted......
    52 deg. to 44 in three days....
    Bad.
    Snow covered ground this morning.
    Brown ground this pm.
    Snowing now.......

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 03-30-2014 at 04:53 PM.

Thanks for the replies. I'll tell you what I found out... fished the LSac last Thursday after having fished it a few times over the past couple of weeks. There had been a strong caddis hatch that really never seemed to end (ie great fishing all day). With a slight drop in temp and some cloud/rain, the caddis cooled and the BWO turned on. The caddis pattern that did work had dropped a size. Probably the best day I've had on that river. Didn't fish worms, though I'm sure they would have wiggled up a few as well.

Best,

Sean