Thread: I have a question for those of you who own Pflueger Medalists...

Default I have a question for those of you who own Pflueger Medalists...

I just got a Pflueger Medalist 1594RC, the one with rim control, and I found that the incoming click (while reeling in) is a lot louder than the outgoing click (when line is being pulled out)...is this normal? It would seem to me that it's suppose to be the other way around?

Question Old Medalist....

O.mykiss Hunter,.... Not sure how much of a problem having a difference in "clicker" noise is but was wondering if you were able to identify/solve the problem??? Without being able to inspect the reel, it's difficult to say what's causing the sound difference in the "clicker". Pflueger reels are not very complex, internally.

One cause for the difference in sound may be that the centering metal ring that the composite like drag ring rides on has become worn over time and may be out of round. The composite ring has indentations in it for the tip of the clicker to ride in/on. Maybe the point of the clicker doesn't touch the indents when the line is outgoing(???). If that is the case, the part (metal ring) will need to be replaced. For recognition purposes, the metal ring is held in place by two screws.

Several of my older Pflueger Medalist reels have this same problem. In the past, the required part was available through fly shops but I haven't seen them for sale for a very long time and I was able to replace the part myself. They're still available through the Pflueger website if you're willing to be patient for enough orders to accumulate for the company to justify making a production run.

If the problem persists and you're still interested, maybe you could contact Bill Archuletta's reel repair shop. You can find it by Googling the name or I've seen the shop mentioned somewhere on FishWest shops website but can't recall where. Maybe David Lee has the address/telephone number....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

It sounds like you need to reverse the reel- Left hand vs. right hand operation, or the other way. This can be easily done by removing the spool, and then carefully unscrewing the small disk with the cutouts that surounds the spool axle, and then reversing the disc. Be careful to not lose any parts.