Thread: First spey rod

Default First spey rod

Thinking about getting a spey rod,
    Curious on opinions on a 1266 Echo Solo
    or a Ross Reach. Thanks

probably both good choices though depends on your target fish and where you plan to fish - give us a bit more info on what you mainly want to do with it

Best,
    R

Rick, Mainly the American, Nor Cal, and the Grande Ronde..
    Steelhead and shad is my thought process. What difference is
    actions between the two if any?? Thanks, Rye

Rye- sorry but I really have not cast those rods but a quick search gives a bit of info on each. I think a 6 wt is ideal for what you are looking for though I might even consider stepping down to a 5 wt if I was targeting shad a lot and even for the GR. I use an Anglers Roost 12' 2/3 and an Anderson 4 wt as my go to rods on the GR

http://www.rajeffsports.com/echo_2solo.php

http://steelheadonthespey.wordpress....h-rods-review/

If you are anywhere near Sac then I would highly recommend stopping in at Kiene's and checking both rods out - expect they have them both and likely can try them out on the river

Rye, I don't know much about the solo but I will tell you the Echo TR series is a great casting rod and very popular in the Spey world. As for the Ross I have not casted it but I know some people that have it and they absolutely love it! I think a 6wt is perfect especially if you are going to target American river winter runs, it may be a little over gunned for shad but it will work. I use a Anderson 4 wt for shad, Rick which ACR 4 wt do you have? I'm using the older 1214. Like Rick said stop by Kiene's and talk with Andy, Terry or Doug. Andy had the Ross 6wt. I will tell you, be prepaired you will own a arsenal of Spey rods within a few years.... Addictive, but no harm to your organs or body

Mark,
    My Anderson is a very old 12' 4 wt that Gary no longer makes - I believe he had trouble getting consistent blanks. I mainly throw a 375 RIO short on it but also have an old cut back custom Vision ACE

You're not kidding!! Jumped into fly fishing a year ago,
    4 sh rods later I'm thinking I need/want/gotta try a two hander.
    This game's addicting..