Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sage Z Axis 8129 Skagit Recommendation

Default Sage Z Axis 8129 Skagit Recommendation

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope you guys can give me a hand on this one. I recently purchased a Sage Z Axis 8129 spey rod and I wanted to know, specifically from those of you who currently fish this rod, which skagit heads including brand and grain weight do you use? I'm aware that a lot of it has to do with personal preference, however considering I am a beginner in spey fishing and rio suggests a grain weight between 500 - 550 for skagit max while airflow suggests 600 for compact skagit is a bit confusing. I'll list what this rod is intended for. I currently live in Ontario and plan on using this rod on rivers such as the maitland and the saugeen, perhaps even the niagara river. I will be definitely using this rod on a trip I intend on doing out to the Skeena in the fall. I appreciate your time and help guys. I realize there are many searches out there but my intention is to "hopefully" condense this so that it fits my situation and I know you guys can guide me in the right direction. Again, thanks!

- Jon

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthre...-8129-4-review

Rio is always a little light on grain weight recommendations, especially for Skagit.

Read the review above from Spey expert and guide Jason Hartwick

Most 600 to 650 grain Skagit heads will work on that rod.

Some of our staff have owned and fished that rod.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Condensed version; contact Steve Godshall for your line and save yourself a ton of money and time.
    stevegodshall@charter.net

Have owned and fished that rod since it came out. One of the top Skagit rods out there, still! The Rio Skagit Short in 625 was the line. Now, with the new Rio Max Shorts I would drop to 600 grains. The connect core will load faster and take one line down on most applications.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Have owned and fished that rod since it came out. One of the top Skagit rods out there, still! The Rio Skagit Short in 625 was the line. Now, with the new Rio Max Shorts I would drop to 600 grains. The connect core will load faster and take one line down on most applications.
    Thanks for the replies guys! Terry would you recommend the 600 skagit max short instead of the 600 skagit max?

Yes, go with the Max Short. I was put on the shorts a few years ago by some of the guides on the coast and in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    Yes, go with the Max Short. I was put on the shorts a few years ago by some of the guides on the coast and in Alaska.
    Terry, thanks a lot buddy. Which running line do you use? And can this setup cast 10' of t14 with ease?

I'm sure that beast could huck T-17 with your neighbors cat with ease!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    I'm sure that beast could huck T-17 with your neighbors cat with ease!
    Hahaha nice

Yes, it will take care of T-14. I would suggest the Rio Connect Core in .032.