Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: First shad to be had?

Sounds promising . . . shadaholics will start rubbing their hands together in anticipation of the season's first fix

If I have nothing else to do Sunday (likely enough) I might even go sit at Verona and see what's up (likely enough nothing, yet).

Our shad season will be as bad as if not worse than last year since there will be no flows on the America.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Our shad season will be as bad as if not worse than last year since there will be no flows on the America.
    Same thing wiht the yuba which will probably only be flowing at 300CFS in hallwood once the rice diversions start--i would imagine the best places to fish for shad this year are going to be on the lower sac and below the shanghai bend rapids on the feather....certainly interestsing to see how things develop.

Should be horrible on the American. In fact, I'd recommend not even fishing it during the shad run. Nope, I'd stay far, far away.

In my 50 plus years of fishing the Lower American River I have only seen it this low (500 cfs) for one or two times for only a day or two.

It actually is kind of like a trout stream now.

The American Shad might pile up down by CalExpo /River Park?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Wading the mouth of the Feather for stripers and shad, just may be the ticket this year!
    "The solution to any problem -work, love, money, whatever -is to go fly fishing, and the worse the problem, the longer the trip should be." -John Gierach

Default everything's early this year

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arlampreymarch2014.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	8824

Hahaha wee must hang out in the same haunts.

Cool to see a good number of lampreys. Their numbers have dwindled significantly since the 1970's when they were thick in our CA creeks and rivers... As has been noted, lampreys spend their first 2 years as larvae, burrowed down in the sandy river bottom.

Because they live a sedentary existence and filter feed, they are more prone to water-borne pollution and toxins. Decreased water, eroded benthic habitat and compromised water quality are the culprits leading to the demise of this indicator species.

I saw a swarm of lampreys in late February... Proof positive that life cycles are a bit early this year (seemingly due to drought, increased temps).

I've also witnessed mayfly and other early insect hatches, suckers spawning at the heads of tailouts as early as late February (usually not till late March-April) as well as active/hungry stripers in size and numbers also earlier than normal.

I suspect the shad will show up in less than a week.
    Last edited by STEELIES/26c3; 03-29-2014 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Lee View Post
    Jeff C,
    The word on the street is that you start fishing for shad at Semple Point under the Carquines bridge, then moving upstream to the bottom of First street in Benecia. Once you know they are on their way you draw back, casually waiting on the American River ready to strike at any given moment! Is this true? That explains everything, say no more.
    Randy
    Randy I grew up on the Crockett side of the Carquinez Bride and also fished First Street for Salmon and Stripers most of my life, but I never saw a Shad until I fished the American. When do they arrive and do you fish for them in the same way? It would be awesome to catch one so close to home haha.

Thanks,

Travis A

Come with me young Travis...I will show you the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Alosa View Post
    Come with me young Travis...I will show you the way...
    I speak from experience Travis. Alosa can even show you the way of the Steelhead as well!!!
    No beast so fierce but knows some touch of pity

But I know none, and therefore am no beast

-William Shakespeare