Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: First shad to be had?

Default First shad to be had?

A California old-timer once told me his earliest ever shad was April 5. That would just be a couple weeks away!

Last year, I'd swear I was hooking them around Verona by April 15th. That seemed early. If this year is the same, it could be happening again within a month, which would be great.

Any thoughts on how the scarcity of water might affect this year's run?

And definitely, if you catch one or see one being caught, let us know it has begun for 2014

I think it is going to be worse on the American then last year due to the super low flows we will have. But if you have a boat and can sit above the deep spots you will get them. I had to use my kayak to get to them last year and will do the same thing again this year.

Just my 2 cents, but will wait and see what Jeff does. Then I will steal his spot and catch his fish!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Don't mention that word! The Swinging Ching will start drooling and may go into convulsions

I just got a report of shad being caught in Sac port. They are coming!!!!
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

We use to catch them with spinning rods off the bank at the "Minnow Hole" in South Sacramento on the main Sacramento River. Don't remember the timing as it was over 50 years ago.

Mouth of the American River and mouth of the Feather River ( Verona) are the first places most catch them from anchored boats.

This spring with the low flows we might be able to wade the mouth of the Feather River for them and Stripers too. We did that back in the drought of the late 1970s.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Yeah I heard that a boater caught a couple at the Port on the 14th. Once they show up at Verona, they will be in the American within a couple of weeks. It's still early, I caught my first one on the American on 4/21 last year. With the low water, new spots and tactics may be required

Funny reading this thread since the ShadCam operated by the Virginia DFG just started its 2014 season.
    http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing/shadcam/

For you night owls, this can provide some cheap entertainment. Viewers have verified seeing shad, eels,
    and one report of Daryl Hannah.

Once again, our shad sighting - win a book contest is in effect. Post a screen capture of a shad and win a book;
    supplies limited, of course. Hell, we've even awarded a book or two for something other than a shad.
    Best to you,
    Larry S

Mike O Guest

last year the lampreys on that cam were CRAZY!...Probably won't enter this year...two years in a row must show that I have no life...

Mike,
    We welcome your participation every shad season. A young friend of mine has a new baby boy that means
    some late nite watching. I've told him about the ShadCam.
    Best to all,
    Larry S

Aha, sounds like shad are not far!

Sitting in a kayak and swinging is my main method. Had some good days near Goethe park doing that in years past.

Would the area around the Minnow Hole be worth trying to fish from an anchored small boat?

Getting excited!!