Thread: Umpqua Info?

Default Umpqua Info?

Two years ago my son and I drifted the Umpqua in Roseburg with guide Gary Lewis. With 3 wts. and small clousers. We landed over 80 small mouth, but only a couple over a pound. A few months later I was talking with the "Big K Ranch" at the Sac. ISE show. They are located on the Umpqua in Elkton Or. I told them of my experience and they said the area they work is known for much larger smallies than where I had fished.

My son graduates (with fingers crossed!) High School this June. He has experienced quite a bit; 28 &29 lb. Redfish in LOLA, Dorado and Tuna in La Paz, Sturgeon on the Columbia River, Pot luck fishing Indian Lagoon in Florida. His 1st striper on a fly was a 13 lber. on a 7 wt. (at age 12). This summer we have decided on a guy trip. We are going to load up the tent and go North from home in Yuba City. 1st stop, a Lower Sac day thru The Fly Shop. We are not trout guys but try to hit the lower Sac. once a year. Next stop is Roseburg Or. for a day with Capt. Gary Lewis for smallmouth again. We are going to spend a few days in Roseburg, maybe go on a jet boat ride or rafting trip on the Rogue. I decided to give the Big K Ranch a try and booked a day for smallies with them.

Does any one have any experience with small mouth in the Elkton O.r area, or with the Big K Ranch? already booked, just curious.

Bill Siler
    Yuba City Ca.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kyle dorado.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	8762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kyle tuna.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	8763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28lb red 2.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	8760   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kyle%205-21-09%204%20upload[1].jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	8761  

Loomis,

I've fished the Umpy around Elkton for smallmouth and they are usually very small. There's a few bigger ones in there I hear, but I haven't caught any of those. I guess I'm doubtful that just a bit upriver would be any different, but it could be.

Depending on when you go, the fishing down in tidewater or in the ocean is pretty good for fall chinook that are staging to come up river. Not sure about fly options for that though? Lots of gear guides would be happy to take you and your boy out starting in mid july.

Take care,

Bill -

I did a three day float in a pontoon boat through the Big K water a few years ago. We broke two rods and did not catch many big bass. We could see some but found them to be very selective. We did spot a few steelhead in the fast runs and should have spent some time on those. We were there in early September so probably past the best bass fishing. The Big K guys will probably get you onto a few good ones. Sounds like a pretty good trip.

I fished it a couple of times in the mid to late 90's and it was VERY good fishing. The fish were much larger, relatively speaking, that what you described. Lots of chunky 2-3 pounders with a couple bigger ones thrown in. The bigger fish are definitely there and you can you actually see them in the water, we floated in float tubes fishing the ledges. The problem is the smaller are so agressive with the larger ones being more educated that it's inevitable to catch more smaller fish. We found ourselves literally pulling the fly away from the smaller fish in order to give the larger fish an opportunity.

Good luck.

Oregon has three rivers that have big population of Small Mouth Bass.

The Umpqua, John Day and Grande Ronde.

Snake River has them too.

Umpqua and John Day have tons of smaller fish so it is hard to get the big ones.

With poppers we got mostly small fish some years ago on the Umpqua.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I ave fished the Umpqua many times, mostly from the mid 80's thru 2005. Lots of small fish below Elkton, bigger fish in the Big K stretch. I used to fish with Mike Moore (long since retired) and Todd Hannah. Todd may still be guiding. He's worth looking up. For real fun fish poppers on the surface on the afternoons. So much fun it should be illegal!