Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Nice fresh wild spring-run half-pounders are in the American R

Default Washougal remembrances

I hope and still think we may still have some Washougal strain in the American? I have caught several fish like this in July-August over the past years. Not sure what the Washougal strain looks like but these fish were all wild and feistier than hell!
    Washougal??

Hi, Mark:

Sorry to get back so late. Been fishing and caught a few Bluebacks.
    What you are depicting is probably O Mykiss and other strains just looking at it (not a good judgement without scale samples, of course to the well-heeled in the group ;) ).

Washougals, in contrast, are very snaky, with long slender, powerful bodies. The strain was introduced in the American and abandoned in the late 70s-80s but I can't get them off my mind.

Imagineback in 1980 in 100+ weather hooking 25-30" steelies? It was work, and I used to figure a fish every 8 hours; but what a fish.

I still make an annual pilgrimage to that part of the world to swing for these babies. Floating lines, skaters and POW!

Regards,
    Grant

Grant Fraser

"Steelhead fishing with the fly is not about hooking lots of fish; it's all about the take and the show. Everything else is just icing on the cake." - Anon.

[QUOTE=steel2theReel;145052]I hope and still think we may still have some Washougal strain in the American? I have caught several fish like this in July-August over the past years. Not sure what the Washougal strain looks like but these fish were all wild and feistier than hell!
    Washougal??

Mark, awesome wild CV steelhead! The Lassen Foothill tribs of the Sacramento River still get a few fall-entry wild steelhead. My bet is that those July-August fish you run into now and then on the American are not remnant Washougals, but are instead fish that have dipped into the American (likely seeking thermal refugia) on their way up the Sac, much like Idaho bound fish do on the Deschutes. Matt
    Last edited by matt johnson; 03-16-2014 at 09:34 PM.
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

A friend of mine does not fly fish but pulls plugs with his drift boat early in the AM all summer long.

He says in mid-summer they will get some super bright 8 pounders right in those deep fast runs with the fresh summer run salmon.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........