Thread: Full sinking lines on a 2 handed rod

Default Full sinking lines on a 2 handed rod

Does anyone make a full sinking head that will work well on a spey rod. I'm thinking for tough and go type casting...
    Thanks!

Check out the new nextcast salar finder lines. They come in multiple sink rates within the taper. I have only thrown a floating fall favorite from nextcast but it is a great line to cast and fish. I really want one of these new salar finders though, take a look.

i have a bunch of full sink heads made by steve godshall in medford. what rod is it? would be more than happy to let you try one!

Thanks. Gotta pretty specific task. Looking to fish buggers in the "surf" on tahoe after a big sw wind event. Big ol 15 foot rod....

+1 for Steve Godshall, he is the man for custom line work! Steve made me a full sink scandi head...and many more!

There are a lot of options. What weight rod are we talking? Have you considered casting this overhead? That may be a better option with this length rod. The full-sinking scandi heads are short enough to be somewhat annoying to cast, for me, touch-and-go, on this length rod. I haven't found a full-intermediate or sinking option in the 50'-55' range which would be ideal.

In terms of off-the-shelf:

The NextCast Salar Finder, already mentioned, fishes very nicely at least in river conditions. The F3/45 (floating section in back) has a little more length than the other options. LTS lines are newly available here and are similar in configuration, I've fished the Hover/S1/S3 recently and like its performance. Still, these are lines I prefer on a 13' rod over a 15'.

Rio sells "Scandi Bodies" in both intermediate and S4 densities. Attach the tip of your choice, you can have a head from 33' to 38'.

The same effect can be achieved by taking one of the new intermediate Skagit heads and downsizing in grain weight to the desired point. The Rio and Airflo lines have a floating back section, the SA line is full intermediate.

In terms of longer stuff, Carron still makes long heads in intermediate and full-sink at 65' head lengths and intermediate in longer lengths. This is a nice length for a 15' rod, but these have their own set of casting challenges, particularly in soft water. Depending on your rod weight, there are some other more obscure options in this category, you can PM me for details.

LTS makes a triple density line that has a intermediate back end, sinking body, and a type 3 front. It's a long skandi type taper and cast well on a fast rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Bailey View Post
    LTS makes a triple density line that has a intermediate back end, sinking body, and a type 3 front. It's a long skandi type taper and cast well on a fast rod.
    I got to try that line this year on Whitney's LTS set up! Very impressive and amazing how lite the LTS 9 wt. was. That line could just be the ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    I got to try that line this year on Whitney's LTS set up! Very impressive and amazing how lite the LTS 9 wt. was. That line could just be the ticket!
    Come up on the 26th of April to the Rogue River, Donna is going to have a bunch of LTS stuff there to try! I got to review that 13' 9wt, I have 4 weights that are heavier than it is. How did you like the guts of that Rod? It will throw a country mile.