Thread: 9 or 10 weight for Kauai trip?

Default 9 or 10 weight for Kauai trip?

I'm going to Kauai in July and wondered if I should take a 9 or 10 weight? Fishing from the beach.

Thanks.

Bill

Default kauai

Aloha Bill, I would bring the 9wt if you have a choice. I usually use a 6wt and if it is windy, it is normally windy, I use a 8wt. A 9 will be plenty of rod for the wind here. You will mostly be catching small jacks, papio under 10lbs. There are some nice bones on kauai, but you won't really need a 10wt unless you hook an ulua and then you will wish you had a 12wt. Good luck, Mems
    Don Memmer

Thanks Mems!

I'm planning on a future peacock bass trip and am starting to assemble rods and reels for this trip. Since I will add both 10 and 9 wts I figured my upcoming trip to Kauai would allow me a chance to practice with the new rods.

Any suggestion as to flies to use?

Thanks again.

Bill

Nice to get expert advice right from the source.......thanks for all the participation Don.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

There is 2 TFO Pro series 9 weights for sale right now in the classified section. Great rods in my opinion, I have a bunch of the pro series.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    There is 2 TFO Pro series 9 weights for sale right now in the classified section. Great rods in my opinion, I have a bunch of the pro series.
    Thanks for the tip on the TFO's! I ordered a Helios 2 from Kienes and will try that. If I don't like it, I'll get the Sage XI3.

Btw are you on the NCKA forum?

Bill

Default flies for kauai

Fly selection depends on the fish you are targeting. Best fly for papio, small trevally is a small clouser or a small gummy minnow. Best fly for bones is a small mantis. try to match the bottom, so you should have brown and tan mantis. Most important thing is the retrieve. bones let it hit the sand and give little tugs so it makes puffs that attract the bonefish. If the fish is over the fly give it a quick little strike to set on them or they will spit the hook. Trevally like it fast. If they follow and don't hit it you are going too slow.
    Don't trout strike and lift the rod, you will pull the fly right out of their mouths. Have fun, and good luck, Don
    Don Memmer