Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is the “soul” of fly-fishing being sacrificed?

The "soul" has only left for those who think the "soul" has left and then it's for them alone. Others who enjoy it on their terms are probably still quite happy with it on their terms. I could care less how folks choose to flyfish, but I'm not particularly fond of those who say this or that particular way is the only way to pursue the sport, this or that rod must be used, this type fly must be used, yada, yada, yada. Just get out, breath the air, forget your troubles, and enjoy the moment. No need to analyze it.
    Mike

Plenty of soul in what I do when I am armed with a fly rod, as others have said: it's about far, far more than just catching fish. Don't care too much how others do it, or why. Fly fishing to me is an extremely personal experience, and should be so enjoyed with one's own personal style and "soul".

I had an extremely soulful trip in Oregon last October and wrote a long winded post about it here. Long story short; ended up fishing some gorgeous rivers, revisiting many of my childhood haunts, caught a few steelhead, lost a monster after an epic struggle, etc.... Incredible trip. Topped it off with spending a half day with my young nephew teaching him to cast, search for bugs, read water, make a presentation, how to manage to not tie himself up in the fly line, and finally how to set the hook and even how land (and release) a couple of wild rainbow trout. To anyone who wonders about the soul of fly fishing, I highly recommend taking a youngster (or an "oldster") and showing them a bit about what makes this so special and so fulfilling.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Mike O Guest

Quote Originally Posted by TonyMuljat View Post
    Yes, bobber fishing is not very aesthetic. But I also wonder why they don't make the bobbers more aesthetically pleasing? In reality how is a bright green, red, or yellow bobber any different than the old red and white ones? I recall back in my adolescence, being primarily a gear fisherman, one of the fishing mags had a great article on these really cool bamboo or balsa wood bobbers that had north and south axis on them. They were very aesthetic....
    I do use little red and white bobbers when I indi fish. It's laughs watching the other ffers doubletake