Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the “soul” of fly-fishing being sacrificed?

Default Is the “soul” of fly-fishing being sacrificed?

There is an interesting article in the December issue of Angling Trade that intrigued me. The article was about growth in the industry and whether the "soul" of the sport is being sacrificed in pursuit of that growth. Of course, when discussing that indefinable and personable thing called soul, one is always treading on thin ice, but there were a few points I’d love to hear some opinions on – particularly from those on this board active in the industry.

One of the guides quoted said that he has seen the focus shift from the experience of fishing to simply catching fish. Additionally he explained, the fly fishing learning curve has been shortened. Anglers used to have to master the cast, presentation, hatches and so on. Since the advent of strike indicators, he says, we've taken the need to learn to cast out if the equation.

“Today as an industry we've simplified the sport….dumbed it down to convert more participants more easily…” What takes place on rivers today, resembles little of what attracted people to the sport 20 years ago…that is, something along the lines of the simple beauty of casting a fly rod with some level of proficiency, the article posits.

So…a few questions for those of you in the industry (guides and fly shop folks in particular)

1) Has the sport changed as dramatically as inferred in the article? Is it a “dumber” activity than it used to be? Are your clients less skilled as fisherman than they used to be? Are strike indicators the spawn of the devil? ( I threw that one in there)

2) Does it matter? Is there any danger at all here? In fact, might these changes, in fact, be good for the sport?

Thoughts?

Question Soul....

As a person formerly involved (many years in the past), I don't think the industry is in any danger of going away. Many of us older practitioners will be gone, tho. The industry has and will continue to change and, IMO, that's a good thing.

As to whether we've dumbed down the sport, I'd say there's still all of the historical information out there for anyone who cares to make use of it. There's casting instruction available nearly everywhere and modern equipment is superb, making it's use easy (provided you don't try to exceed your knowledge/skill levels).

Fly tying is particularly interesting to me. Modern materials used on their own or combined with traditional materials produce amazing creations for any type of fishing. The choices in vises have increased in number and quality.

The only problem I see with all of this is the mystique surrounding the "art of fly fishing." To me, fly fishing is nothing more than another delivery system to put a bait/fly/lure in front of a fish; once you've learned to cast, all the rest is the same as learning any craft. Sure, the take is more important to me than the catching/landing but that's only from the standpoint of enjoying watching the "boil" or feeling the "tug" and knowing that I created something that fooled the fish. Only in the world of journalism and fly fishing are we able to discuss whether fly fishing has lost it's soul....

Ever hear of Mazlou's Basic Needs hierarchy???
    Last edited by Darian; 02-20-2014 at 02:32 PM.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

For some it is about nothing more than catching a fish. For me it is about being one with nature. If I catch a fish that is just an added bonus. I am way past the "I have to catch a fish to be happy" stage. My biggest joy now is showing others how to catch fish then watching them catch fish on their own.
    Last edited by Scott V; 02-21-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Tony: Great post for this subject! I really like the videos caption, and see the relevance for this thread...
    "Traditionally, golfers are afraid of change. Traditionally, that's ridiculous."

Question for all you who have been fishing before shooting heads came out... When they were first created, did people look at them as a non purist type of fly fishing (The same way many perceive indicators today)? This is a legitimate question of mine to those of you who know. But it does make sense to me that we would have had critics back in the day when people began transitioning to shooting heads from more traditional floating lines. Yet shooting heads have revolutionized and set the standard for steelhead, stripers, and salmon now a days. They're an acceptable norm by even the most elite in the industry, and have created so many more possibilities for a successful trip. Although I just made a comparison between indicators and one of the more respected types of fishing today(shooting heads), not looking for a debate over the legitimacy of indicators, rather I would like to know if people criticized shooting heads when they came out, to see if my theory holds any ground or not. Being 25, I'm pretty sure shooting heads came out before I was even born, so I really have no idea.

I also believe that different rivers, different times of year, different flows, different species, different temperatures, different hatches, dictate different tactics. I challenge anyone to find me a succesfull Putah local who exclusively fishes dries! Maybe your out there but I've never met you! Nymphing is what catches the big fish most effectively on Putah by a long shot, therefore we find 99% of people nymphing there. I think if one were to exclusively fish dries on Putah, they would be shorting themselves on all the wonders Putah has to offer, and shorting themselves on a good life experience. However on coastal rivers, fish seem more prone to take a swung fly, and the rivers simply have better swinging runs, so you will find more people swinging. Furthermore, rivers like spring creeks that have epic dry fly fishing (Such as the Fall or Hot Creek) will have way more people fishing dries because dries can be very productive. I personally wouldn't nymph all day long if they're only eating on the surface nor would I fish a dry all day long if I haven't seen a single rise, or had any takes. I can get that some just like to practice casting, but I want to feel a pull of a fish!

Also a little relevant: The film/documentary "Low and Clear" did a good job at putting into perspective the fact that everyone has their own unique reasons for pursuing fish on the fly. Everybody is in search of something different out there. Some might fly fish for a status/ego deal (although we never admit that), others might go for the craving/addiction of an epic fight, others to meditate, relieve stress, make a living, and you know there's every reason in-between. Seems like the definition of the "soul" of fly fishing would vary from person to person. I do agree very much however that when doing the type of fishing like throwing an indicator from a drift boat definitely knocks a lot of time off the learning curve (or maybe not even takes time off the learning curve, but it almost always gets people into fish quicker). That can be taken as a positive or negative depending on the person.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-20-2014 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Shout out to Tony & Edit Grammar
    Ryan Williams

Nor Cal Fly Fishing Guide

https://flyfishcnv.com/

The soul got knocked out of rock climbing when "sport climbing" became established. The soul got knocked out of mt. biking when shocks were invented. The soul got knocked out of archery with the compound bow. And the soul got knocked out of fly fishing when we stopped making only upstream casts to rising trout. I lived through the first three examples and can empathize. Until I stop drifting minnows and tossing hardware, I can't make much of a damning statement about the friggin' "soul" of fly fishing.

Default Shooting Heads....

Ryan,.... Shooting heads have been around for a long time. I bought/used my first in the middle 50's with a head that was produced in France intended for use on an open face spinning reel. It was stripped off the spool and held on the index finger, then false cast/lobbed to finish the cast. Needless to say it didn't last long. Of course, many old timers (older than me) were using them on the north coast by cutting full lines and making up custom heads many years prior to that.

In answer to your question, of course some folks looked down on using shooting heads as you would expect. People everywhere initially resist change regardless of the subject matter.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I think the "SOUL" of fly fishing is what YOU make it. I care about what it means to ME.... To each his own....

I think about the arc of my fly career...Dry fly up-stream, to bobber master, to swinging the big stick.
    Went from consumer style, as a beginner,(more is better), to not even needing to catch one to enjoy a walk on the water.
    For me, the "soul" of fly fishing is fine.....
    But I think hatcheries have increased the numbers of fish, and have created a decline in appreciation and skill.....it's just too easy.
    Stupid fish do not make us good fishermen, only temporarily satisfied consumers...
    The water is not a 7-11 open all the time for our benefit. To me, it should be tough-going to get full value.
    Guides often face the task of trying to get someone to cast and drift properly, who really doesn't want to learn.
    They merely want the fish they "paid for".
    This attitude is a reflected in everything we do.....Quantity over quality....
    The Truckee has a higher bar setting to succeed, and so is less popular with consumers. We like that!!!!
    My favorite trip is the guy who is just happy standing in a river, and then.....we catch a fish!
    Maybe I'm lucky, but most of my clients still feel this way....
    When it gets so that most don't.......I'll move on.

Wait a minute......did Ralph say "drift a minnow"?

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 02-21-2014 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bonneville54 View Post
    There is an interesting article in the December issue of Angling Trade that intrigued me. The article was about growth in the industry and whether the "soul" of the sport is being sacrificed in pursuit of that growth. Of course, when discussing that indefinable and personable thing called soul, one is always treading on thin ice, but there were a few points I’d love to hear some opinions on – particularly from those on this board active in the industry.

One of the guides quoted said that he has seen the focus shift from the experience of fishing to simply catching fish. Additionally he explained, the fly fishing learning curve has been shortened. Anglers used to have to master the cast, presentation, hatches and so on. Since the advent of strike indicators, he says, we've taken the need to learn to cast out if the equation.

“Today as an industry we've simplified the sport….dumbed it down to convert more participants more easily…” What takes place on rivers today, resembles little of what attracted people to the sport 20 years ago…that is, something along the lines of the simple beauty of casting a fly rod with some level of proficiency, the article posits.

So…a few questions for those of you in the industry (guides and fly shop folks in particular)

1) Has the sport changed as dramatically as inferred in the article? Is it a “dumber” activity than it used to be? Are your clients less skilled as fisherman than they used to be? Are strike indicators the spawn of the devil? ( I threw that one in there)

2) Does it matter? Is there any danger at all here? In fact, might these changes, in fact, be good for the sport?

Thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

Also a little relevant: The film/documentary "Low and Clear" did a good job at putting into perspective the fact that everyone has their own unique reasons for pursuing fish on the fly. Everybody is in search of something different out there. Some might fly fish for a status/ego deal (although we never admit that), others might go for the craving/addiction of an epic fight, others to meditate, relieve stress, make a living, and you know there's every reason in-between. Seems like the definition of the "soul" of fly fishing would vary from person to person. I do agree very much however that when doing the type of fishing like throwing an indicator from a drift boat definitely knocks a lot of time off the learning curve (or maybe not even takes time off the learning curve, but it almost always gets people into fish quicker). That can be taken as a positive or negative depending on the person.
    I watched the movie Low and clear A few days ago and that is exactly what came to mind when I was reading all of this. I know this was intended more for guides, but as a fairly new fly fisherman (probably the newest in these boards), I figured I would ask questions and contribute my 2 cents. .
    1. My Questions.
    #1. Is there a link to this article, I would love to read it!
    #2. What exactly IS the “soul of fly fishing?” At some point did everybody agree to ONE soul of fly fishing?

2. My two cents.
    I learned to fly fish with my buddy mark who is older than me. When he taught me about fly fishing he also took the time to tell me about etiquette, compare regular fishing to fly fishing and share various concepts about fly fishing. The part that I contributed was a wonder and awe for the sport. I was the one that viewed it as an art form instead of just another way to catch fish. I don’t know if there is a way to teach “soul,” wonder or awe for the sport. I think that is either in the heart of the fisherman or it isn’t. Best you can do is take somebody who desires to learn down to a beautiful canyon carved by a pristine creek, teach them how to cast and tie a fly and then leave them alone to experience fly fishing and hope they come to the conclusion that they are part of the masterpiece we call fly fishing.
    -Juan

Check out my fishing adventures at: http://breakingbank.blogspot.com/