Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st Week of March

Default 1st Week of March

Howdy folks,
    1st post... I'm an active SoCal and Eastern Sierra blue liner. Some may recognize the handle from FFA or the Drake. It looks as though I'll be in Eureka 1st week of March in order to give some extra guidance to my son, who's a freshman at HSU. Apparently, he's considering the Navy (despite already being picked up by Aracata Fire Dept as a volunteer fire fighter) and I want to make sure he's not leaping before he looks.

So...... In order to maintain some sanity, will there be opportunities to wet a line that late? Last time up in Sept, we walked the Trinity and had a blast, despite only one LDR between the 2 of us. I would probably get a guide this go-round.

Anyway, any advice on whether it's worth lugging up the gear, or recommendations on guides, would be appreciated. I'd offer an invite for some SoCal creekin' but our water is basically gone... However, if you find yourself out of Mammoth, lemme know.
    Last edited by Wanderingblues; 02-16-2014 at 09:33 AM.

You will want to watch the reg's and see if local rivers are closed. The Trinity and Klamath will be open and the lagoons.

http://lostcoastoutpost.com/2014/feb...due-low-flows/
    Fishing is always good, the catching may not be.

Default Eureka Area....

In addition, you might try calling the Eureka Fly Shop at (707) 444-2000. If the closures haven't been lifted yet, they usually have some info about options (fly fishing in the surf, etc.) to fishing for Steelhead at that time of year.
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

Thanks. I've been given a couple of guide names and am aware of the closures to protect the runs. Worse case, I spend a few days visiting brew pubs and doing a little recon.

WB,
    Purchase a StreamTime map of the Eel River; around $6 from Kiene's OnLine shop.
    Great investment.
    Best,
    Larry S

Could be just right for surf perch off the beach, too... A little late for coastal steel, but the Trinity should still has some fish somewhere.

As long as the flows are high enough to keep the rivers open there will be plenty of steelhead still around. There will be some down runners but still plenty of chrome fish coming throughout March.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    ... A little late for coastal steel, but the Trinity should still has some fish somewhere.
    Ummm, not really. Before the March 31st closure of most CA steelhead rivers went into effect back in 1997, lots of fresh steelies could be had clear into early May. All rivers will have plenty of uprun fish in the first week of March.

With the current 10 day forecast, the Main Eel likely will be a good bet and close to Eureka for your time frame.

Check with guide Jason Hartwick who guides the Eel River and a few other rivers in that area.

http://steelheadonthespey.wordpress.com/

Contact the Eureka Fly Shop for some info in that area.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Eurek...65426950150921

Contact the Trinity Fly Shop on the Trinity River for some info and good guides.

http://www.trinityflyshop.com/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

mad river lagoon @low water and @ the start of the flood is sometimes good