Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loop fly rods?

The TXL-F would garner my vote. I have the 7'10" 1wt and it's been a blast. They also go 6'10" as well. If budget is an issue, I would not hesitate to endorse the Echo Carbon's or the Glass's. Both, for the price, are legit.

Let me ask you...

Do you fish a lot and are you hard on your rods?

How experienced of a caster are you?

The trout rods that you have cast, which ones do you like or use regularly?

Do you want the rod to pack down small for a backpack, or is a 2 piece you can store in the back of your car more your style?

Do you have any issues with the rod being made overseas vs in the US?

Do cosmetics hold much weight for you?

You're fishing small streams, thats a given, but are the fish small too? Big guys in small water or just little brookies and such?

Answers to some of these questions will help a lot for getting you pointed in the right way.

As of now, you basically walked into a room full of fat kids and asked "Whats your favorite ice cream?" You're going to get a lot of different answers for different reasons.
    Last edited by Dan LeCount; 02-28-2014 at 04:30 PM.
    My little fishing/fly tying blog- http://rustyhooks.wordpress.com/

Dan

Great questions for the OP. That's how you choose the right fly rod. As for Loop, I don't know much about the lighter line Opti rods but the Cross S1 is one of the most efficient rods I've ever cast. This pertains to the 9' 6-weight and 7-weight switch.

OP, if you're looking for a "fun" rod you might want to consider a fiberglass rod as they are generally a bit cheaper than graphite, however if you're looking for a performance rod, then stick with medium to medium-fast action graphite. Shorter rods are more accurate, but longer rods give you more line control on the water for high sticking both dries and nymphs.

As for me the Circa is a little to niche' of a rod for most, the TXL-F is the performance small stream rod.

Back to glass, if you're in the market for a 2 or 3-weight in graphite you can probably get away with a 3 or 4-weight glass rod to give you power yet feel on those little feisty trout.

I have a Hardy Stream 7' 3wt glass rod that I love. Picked it up barely used for $250, but they are $375 new. Match that to an Orvis Battenkill reel and you still can get a Rio Gold line on there for less than your $600 budget. The only disadvantage is all the rods in the lineup are two piece, so not ideal for long hikes.

I don't think I would ever buy a fly rod without casting it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    I don't think I would ever buy a fly rod without casting it.
    Wow, zombie thread, back walking with the living!
    Well Bill, I'm the OP and that's what I did, starting with the suggestions made here.
    There is absolutely no substitute for casting a bunch of rods to make an informed decision.
    I thank any and all shops that do this . . . like, say, Kiene's!

Aloha, I don't have much experience with Loop rods and reels. My friends who own them like them. For me, my favorite small stream rod/reel is the BVK 1/2 wt rod. Only 5 feet in length and a click and pawl BVK reel match this out fit. On the small streams in Montana this is the one I like to fish. It makes a 14inch cutt seem like an ahi. It is great for bushy streams and is tons of fun wet wading upstream with dry flies. The Finesse and BVK line are great for trout, variety of weights and lengths. I also have a 4wt bamboo rod that I love, but am very careful when I fish that rod. I like rods I can abuse and not worry too much about. I also like TFO and am a sales rep for them, so my opinion is biased. Good luck, try them all then you will enjoy shopping for the rod that best fits your style and needs, Mems.
    Don Memmer